An idea I've been trying to express

  • Dave Winer
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 15, 2004
      Why caucuses and jury duty make you smarter

      http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/2004/02/15#a718

      Dave

    • Paul Andrews
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 16, 2004
        The sleaze factor (remember the Ratfuckers?) in the 2004 presidential
        campaign is already starting to kick in, and I'm wondering what role
        bloggers can play as a corrective mechanism. I notice Dave did not link to
        the Drudge rumor, or to subsequent denials, on Kerry's affair (apologies if
        I'm wrong here, Dave, I may have missed something). Scoble and others did,
        with caveats. I went dark on it myself.

        Mass media from what I can tell have so far let that dog lie. The Seattle
        Times had a small wire service item of Kerry categorically denying any
        affair.

        Dave did, however, lead with the doctored Kerry photo item. But it hasn't
        made the blogging rounds from what I can tell (again, my data is limited to
        what my aging eyeballs can scan). Not yet, anyway.

        Most bloggers are progressives, so turn it around. Was Bush a "deserter"?
        Technically, from all indications, he filled the definition. But is it
        germane? Do we go with Moore's accusation and then link to subsequent
        fact-finding, or...? How do we balance our allegiance, as bloggers, to the
        truth and nothing but, with our progressive politics? Do we qualify our
        items with disclaimers of our personal political values? (E.g., I support
        Howard Dean but am trying to give as factual a representation in this blog
        as possible in the interests of fairness and open government.)

        Under the belief that truth is a virus, I'm wondering what the best approach
        is to dirty politics. There's gonna be so much more. Do we blog it in the
        hopes that the body Internet cleanses the record? Do we black it out as
        "responsible" bloggers not wishing to give convection to false info? Do we
        link only when the real truth is ascertained, as in the doctored photo?

        So far I've been heartened by bloggers' sense of fairness and justice amidst
        the mudslinging. Not that humans are by nature consistent organisms, I still
        wonder if there are or should be guidelines -- or at least a discussion of
        such -- to pilot us through the slings and arrows to come.

        Regards,

        Paul

        Paul Andrews
        Column: E-conomy <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/paulandrews/> , The
        Seattle Times
        Reporting: US News & World Report <http://www.usnews.com/usnews/home.htm>
        Weblog: http://paulandrews.typepad.com/
        Books: How the Web Was Won
        <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0767900499/qid=1014659525/sr=1-1/ref
        =sr_1_1/002-8047528-5647241> (Broadway Books, 2000)
        GATES
        <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0671880748/qid=1014659602/sr=1-2/ref
        =sr_1_2/002-8047528-5647241> (Touchstone, 1994)

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 16, 2004
          A rare unretouched photo of a young George W Bush visiting the Nixon White
          House around the same time John Kerry was appearing with Jane Fonda:

          http://www.scripting.com/images/archiveScriptingCom/2004/02/16/rarePhoto.gif

          If the Republicans want to play this game, there are plenty of Democrats
          with good Photoshop skills (unlike me).

          Dave