82Re: New social software blog

  • Danny Ayers
    Apr 26, 2003
      Dave is of course right when he says that the ideas aren't really
      new. NNTP news, email, the web itself etc etc are all arguably
      Social Software. Specifically in light of recent developments, there
      was at least one blog around 10+ years ago [1], and XML
      news/syndication formats date back at least 6 years [2]. But the
      difference is these things are now joining up like never before. The
      infrastructure (hardware, protocols, languages) really is now ready
      for the multi-way web.

      A case in point: just now I got a comment from Dave on my blog.
      Clicking on the link attached to his name took me to his blog. There
      I read a post referring to this list. A moment or two later I
      clicked "Join this Group" - and here I am. Hi folks!

      This couldn't/wouldn't have happened a few years ago. IMHO it is an
      extremely good time to reevaluate what we've got and where we're
      going in the context of 'Social Software'.

      Cheers,
      Danny.

      [1] http://www.w3.org/History/19921103-
      hypertext/hypertext/WWW/News/9201.html