      From: Elizabeth Lane Lawley
      To: blogrollers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, April 25, 2003 4:52 PM
      Subject: Re: [blogrollers] New social software blog

      Back on the laptop. Here's what I wrote while sitting through
      interminable meetings today. Don't know yet how much of this will make
      it out to either of the blogs. Still thinking. But thought I'd share it
      with this smaller group.

      =====

      Social software isn't a new thing. One could argue (correctly, I
      think), that it's been around since the first e-mail message was sent.
      Early adopters of network technologies were active participants in
      "social" environments like Adventure, BITNET LISTSERVs, and CompuServer
      CB Simulator. So why is there so much energy and excitement right now
      in developer and academic communities about "social software"? Is it
      just hype? (Dave Winer thinks so.) Or is it something more?

      The fact that something's not "new" doesn't make it unworthy of
      discussion and debate, however. Weblogs aren't "new," but there's lots
      of talk about them right now. Intellectual property arguments and
      conflicts aren't new, but nobody's arguing that Donna Wentworth's blog
      is "just hype." Biotech isn't new, either. XML isn't new. Does that
      mean that we should stop talking about them?

      Ten years ago, when I was a doctoral student, my major area of interest
      was "computer-mediated communication." In a lot of ways, what academics
      (and developers) were calling CMC back in the '80s and '90s is the same
      thing that we're calling social software today. But getting people to
      take CMC seriously as both a medium for and a subject of research was a
      challenge back then. Only in the past few years have we seen the
      emergence of an academic journal focused on the topic. And finding
      clear definitions of CMC is still a challenge.

      So what's different now? A lot of things, I think. First of all, more
      ubiquity in connectivity. The Internet is no longer a niche market,
      primarily restricted to well-educated, technically sophisticated people
      working in high-tech and academic environments. Second, fewer technical
      barriers to adoption. For example, it used to be a serious challenge to
      figure out how to create a BITNET LISTSERV for people who shared your
      interests. It's far easier to create a Yahoo! group (which is why my
      sons' cub scout pack has one for alerting parents to upcoming events).
      Third, a new crop of researchers is coming of age in the
      academy--people who recognize computer-mediated environments as a
      "real" sociological and communicative environment (look at people like
      Seb Paquet, Eszter Hargittai, Alex Halavais, Thomas Burg, and even me,
      for example).

      No, this isn't something "new." But it's still in need of a number of
      things right now.

      The first is a shared vocabulary. What are we _talking_ about when we
      talk about social software? Are blogs "social," for example? Some are
      really just publishing platforms (Dave Winer, for example, doesn't
      provide any mechanisms for commenting or trackbacks on his blog--is it
      really social? I'd argue not. Others are very social, with much of
      their value coming from the discussions in the comments and the content
      in the trackbacks (Shelley Powers comes to mind here--not that her
      original content isn't key to the weblog, but it's enriched and
      expanded by the social nature of her comments and trackbacks). Ross'
      ecosystem of networks (posted earlier) provides for an interesting
      discussion of various "modes" for blogs--and that's the kind of
      valuable (to me, anyhow) analysis that these new conversations on
      social software are yielding.

      The second is a shared (and open) community of developers and
      researchers. The SSA is a starting point for this, but already the
      tensions are obvious. The researchers want definitions. The developers
      want us to quit talking and start coding. What I'm hoping is that we'll
      start to find a place in the middle that will help us both.

      Lately, I've found myself regularly reminded of something that Howard
      Rheingold wrote in his book _The Virtual Community_ back in 1993:

      "Right now, all we have on the Net is folklore, like the Netiquette
      that old-timers try to teach the flood of new arrivals, and debates
      about freedom of expression versus nurturance of community. About two
      dozen social scientists, working for several years, might produce
      conclusions that would help inform these debates and furnish a basis of
      validated observation for all the theories flying around. A science of
      Net behavior is not going to reshape the way people behave online, but
      knowledge of the dynamics of how people do behave is an important
      social feedback loop to install if the Net is to be self-governing at
      any scale."

      Here we are, a decade later, without much of that "social feedback
      loop" in place. There's now an Association of Internet Researchers,
      where a lot of interesting research is being talked about. And there's
      certainly lots of exciting new software being developed. But there have
      been huge gaps between the resesarch community and the development
      community, and I think both sides are poorer for it.

      What excites me about the budding SSA, and this new blog, is that both
      seem to be moving towards more dialog in these areas. Both have
      representation from both research and development, from the academy and
      from industry. But all the participants have a history of working with
      social technologies. Most were early adopters, many are innovators
      and/or though tful critics in the field.

      What's new is that these people are _talking_ to each other. (Not
      always nicely, but that's still an improvement over silence.) Yes, we
      need people to write code, build systems, think outside the box. But I
      think we also need people to provide a feedback loop in that process.
      It doesn't need to be--and _shouldn't_ be--an either/or situation.

      Elizabeth Lane Lawley, Ph.D.
      Asst. Professor - RIT/Info Tech
      site: http://www.it.rit.edu/~ell/
      blog: http://www.it.rit.edu/~ell/mamamusings/