Rising Tide Conference in New Orleans

  • daisydancer99
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 21, 2006
      I realize this is last minute notice, but because so much of it will
      be archived online [not sure about live feeds yet], I thought you
      all should know of the Rising Tide conference taking place this
      weekend. Quite similar to BloggerCon {which I attended in '04 as
      well as the Votes, Bits, and Bytes meeting], this conference is a
      meeting organized by bloggers to discuss how the Internet is helping
      rebuild New Orleans post-Katrina. From their official website,
      http://risingtidenola.com/, the conference is described as "a
      gathering for all who wish to learn more and do more to assist New
      Orleans' recovery from the aftermath of the natural disasters of
      both Hurricane Katrina and Rita, the manmade disaster of the levee
      and floodwall collapses, and the incompetence of government on all
      levels. We will come together to dispel myths, promote facts, share
      personal testimonies, highlight progress and regress, discuss
      recovery ideas, and promote sound policies at all levels. We aim to
      be a "real life" demonstration of internet activism as the nation
      prepares to mark the one year anniversary of a massive natural
      disaster followed by governmental failures on a similar scale."

      I think you'd also be impressed with the wiki used to organize the
      conference and the number of sub-wikis dedicated to neighborhood
      projects: http://thinknola.com/wiki/. Finally, the list of
      bloggers is more than impressive--
      http://thinknola.com/wiki/New_Orleans_bloggers. As a native New
      Orleanian, I know that the words "blog," "wiki," and even "wi-fi"
      were foreign to the city until Katrina came along and changed
      everything. Please check out the pages I've linked and publicize
      whenever and wherever possible!

      Thanks
      Daisy Pignetti
      http://dpignett.blog.usf.edu