know anyone for this job? take two

  • Jay Rosen
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2006

      (It was late, and I used the wrong figure for the editor's pay.  So this is the corrected version.)

      I am looking to hire someone on a freelance basis to help me out with the first test of NewAssignment.Net.  Editor for the alpha version, if you will.  Background is here:

      http://newassignment.wordpress .com/2006/08/19/welcome-to -newassignmentnet/

      The job starts real soon.  It involves blogging about and finding with the help of users a good test story, working with a reporter and writer once the assignment emerges, solving the problems that arise whenever you try to do something new and different, communicating with the varrious consituencies this project has, and being a good spokesperson for the idea.

      The editor will work closely with me; I will be the executive editor for the test.  It's my rear end on the line so of course I am going to be very involved.  Best to be up front about that.

      The project runs for 11 weeks, from Labor Day to Thanksgiving week.  Pay is $6,000 ($30 per hour, 200 hours)  This is a temporary position.

      Best candidate is someone who:

      *  Has been an editor and has a journalism background
      *  Knows the Net, is entirely comfortable in the online world
      *  Has blogging experience
      *  Plays well with others, can work with users online,  open to a "pro -am" model
      *  Grasps what I am trying to do with NewAssignment.Net

      Also helpful:

      * Knowledge of open source initiatives
      * Followed the discussion of citizen journalism
      * Web 2.0 literate
      * Investigative reporting background
      * PressThink reader
      * Understands libel law

      Does not need to be someone in New York City, but that would be a plus too.  Or someone who can come in occasionally.  Person to contact is me.  Feel free to nominate yourself as long as you won't take offense if I go with someone else.

      Jay Rosen

      www.pressthink.org
      New York University
      Department of Journalism