Re: [blip-users] My organization is looking for a video service: a couple of questions

  • Kary Rogers
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 5, 2007
      I'm not sure about the first item but I feel pretty sure you can
      accomplish #2 with blip. Any search you can build can be turned into
      an RSS feed. You should be able to get a feed of videos by a certain
      user tagged with a certain tag.

      In the following example, if you replaced 'userName' with the user
      and 'tagString' with the tag, you would get posts by that user tagged
      with that tag. The 'skin=rss' returns the query results as RSS.

      http://www.blip.tv/posts/?skin=rss&user=userName&tag=tagString

      If you want to specify the file type, you can add 'file_type=m4v' for
      example. You can also specify the role (web vs iPod vs HD) with
      'role=HDTV' e.g.

      This may or may not be a good way to accomplish what you want. blip
      could change The Way Things Work at anytime and this might break.
      This is just me, Joe User, poking around.

      HTH,

      --
      Kary Rogers
      http://karyhead.com

      On Jul 5, 2007, at 3:42 PM, jonny goldstein wrote:

      > 2.
      >
      > Different Feeds for different tagged videos made by the same user:
      >
      > Maybe there is a way to do this, but it eludes me.
      >
      > It would be awesome if we could use one account and provide various
      > feeds, each pertaining to a certain tag. Say we have videos about
      > topic X, we could tag the video "X" and then provide all the feeds
      > that blip does now for the account (iTunes, etc.) just for videos from
      > our account with that tag.
      >
      > That way, we can have subscription options tailored to certain
      > categories of video content.
      >
      > As it is right now, I'm going to have to use both YouTube and Blip to
      > get the functionality I want. And if my issues can be resolved only in
      > the pro account, that's just fine.
      >
      > Thanks for listening!
      >
      > Love,
      >
      > Jonny

    • Gordon McDowell
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 7, 2007
        Jonny,

        We're trying something like what you describe using Blip services at
        Cambrian House. Our Blip player is at...
        CambrianHouse.com/video/

        Review the embedded code for examples of tuning in to custom feeds.
        We've also found aside from setting up "channels", its handy for
        tagging a blog post with an specific tag (like say the date of the
        blog entry), and by swapping tags on videos we can update the video
        content of the blog without making any change to the blog entry
        itself.

        The blip player has quite a few options if you muck with the html
        parameters directly, but they're documented enough. I think it helps
        to generate various functional examples to figure out what is
        possible. I do believe its possible to turn down its "jukebox" like
        functions by disabling the multiple tabs and perhaps the guide button
        too.

        -Gord

        --- In blip-users@yahoogroups.com, "jonny goldstein" <spamjonny@...>
        wrote:

        > My day job involves doing new media stuff for a medium sized
        nonprofit
        > in DC.
        >
        > They want to start doing more web video stuff. So far, we have not
        > found a solution that works for us, including Blip.
        >
        > Here is our wish list:
        >
        > Viral: People should be able to email individual videos to their
        > friends. I don't think blip offers this with it's old flash player.
        > This is a key feature. I don't get why blip doesn't offer this. This
        > is a MUST for people who are interested their videos going viral.
        >
        > Yeah, I know it exists on the new player, but that player is
        > specialized in ways that won't work for us. It's more of an all in
        one
        > video jukebox---it's very nice, but not what we need. We need for
        > people to be able to share the old player (or something like it) via
        > email.
        >
        > While I'm at it, when people come across our videos on our page
        page,
        > we need people to be able to copy and paste code from the player to
        > toss it on their web pages. Again we want this to work w/the old
        player.

        > 2.
        >
        > Different Feeds for different tagged videos made by the same user:
        >
        > Maybe there is a way to do this, but it eludes me.
        >
        > It would be awesome if we could use one account and provide various
        > feeds, each pertaining to a certain tag. Say we have videos about
        > topic X, we could tag the video "X" and then provide all the feeds
        > that blip does now for the account (iTunes, etc.) just for videos
        from
        > our account with that tag.
        >
        > That way, we can have subscription options tailored to certain
        > categories of video content.
        >
        > As it is right now, I'm going to have to use both YouTube and Blip
        > get the functionality I want. And if my issues can be resolved only
        in
        > the pro account, that's just fine.
        >
        > Thanks for listening!
        >
        > Love,
        >
        > Jonny

      • Gordon McDowell
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 9, 2007
          but they're documented enough
          ...SHOULD READ...
          but they're not documented enough

          --- In blip-users@yahoogroups.com, "Gordon McDowell"
          <gordonmcdowell@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > toss it on their web pages. Again we want this to work w/the old
          > player.
          > >

          > > 2.
          > >
          > > Different Feeds for different tagged videos made by the same user:
          > >
          > > Maybe there is a way to do this, but it eludes me.
          > >
          > > It would be awesome if we could use one account and provide various
          > > feeds, each pertaining to a certain tag. Say we have videos about
          > > topic X, we could tag the video "X" and then provide all the feeds
          > > that blip does now for the account (iTunes, etc.) just for videos
          > from
          > > our account with that tag.
          > >
          > > That way, we can have subscription options tailored to certain
          > > categories of video content.
          > >
          > > As it is right now, I'm going to have to use both YouTube and Blip
          > > get the functionality I want. And if my issues can be resolved only

        • Mike Hudack
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 9, 2007
            Hah, that's the truth. We're working on better documentation.

            We're also planning to make the Show Player the default player in our
            next release...

> [...]
            > > toss it on their web pages. Again we want this to work w/the old
            > player.
            > >

            > > 2.
            > >
            > > Different Feeds for different tagged videos made by the same user:
            > >
            > > Maybe there is a way to do this, but it eludes me.
            > >
            > > It would be awesome if we could use one account and provide various
            > > feeds, each pertaining to a certain tag. Say we have videos about
            > > topic X, we could tag the video "X" and then provide all the feeds
            > > that blip does now for the account (iTunes, etc.) just for videos
            > from
            > > our account with that tag.
            > >
            > > That way, we can have subscription options tailored to certain
            > > categories of video content.
            > >
            > > As it is right now, I'm going to have to use both YouTube and Blip
            > > get the functionality I want. And if my issues can be resolved only

            Yahoo! Groups Links
          • Michael Sullivan
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 9, 2007
              I know that blip originally used "The Jeroen Player" as did just about everyone else over the past few years.
              Some extended that player while others replaced it with their own incarnation.  I can't speak for blip's player as it currently is deployed..... but either way one could still upload the jeroen player somewhere and use it for your own purposes.  Check with blippers to make sure that you are not violating any flv usage rights in doing so, however.  Here are links to the media player info, readme and wizard pages:

              http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=JW_Media_Player

              http://www.jeroenwijering.com/extras/readme.html

              http://www.jeroenwijering.com/extras/wizard.html

              fyi

              sull

              wrote:

              > My day job involves doing new media stuff for a medium sized
              nonprofit
              > in DC.
              >
              > They want to start doing more web video stuff. So far, we have not
              > found a solution that works for us, including Blip.
              >
              > Here is our wish list:
              >
              > Viral: People should be able to email individual videos to their
              > friends. I don't think blip offers this with it's old flash player.
              > This is a key feature. I don't get why blip doesn't offer this. This
              > is a MUST for people who are interested their videos going viral.
              >
              > Yeah, I know it exists on the new player, but that player is
              > specialized in ways that won't work for us. It's more of an all in
              one
              > video jukebox---it's very nice, but not what we need. We need for
              > people to be able to share the old player (or something like it) via
              > email.
              >
              > While I'm at it, when people come across our videos on our page
              page,
              > we need people to be able to copy and paste code from the player to
              > toss it on their web pages. Again we want this to work w/the old
              player.

              > 2.
              >
              > Different Feeds for different tagged videos made by the same user:
              >
              > Maybe there is a way to do this, but it eludes me.
              >
              > It would be awesome if we could use one account and provide various
              > feeds, each pertaining to a certain tag. Say we have videos about
              > topic X, we could tag the video "X" and then provide all the feeds
              > that blip does now for the account (iTunes, etc.) just for videos
              from
              > our account with that tag.
              >
              > That way, we can have subscription options tailored to certain
              > categories of video content.
              >
              > As it is right now, I'm going to have to use both YouTube and Blip
              > get the functionality I want. And if my issues can be resolved only
              in
              > the pro account, that's just fine.
              >
              > Thanks for listening!
              >
              > Love,
              >
              > Jonny

            • Gordon McDowell
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 10, 2007
                Does BLIP have a take on the JW Media Player? Does tapping into Blip
                feeds via that player do blip any sort of dis-service? We're not
                actively researching it right now (as BLIP player meets our immediate
                needs), but always pondering how services could be best integrated.

                Is it true that any SWF player (be it Blip's or Jeroen) can only pull
                from its own Domain for FLV data? I thought that was how flash
                security worked... but of course the SWF/FLV players have
                functionality beyond that. Anyone know what I'm mis-understanding there?

                And has anyone tried pulling FLV data from YouTube using either Blip
                or Jeroen player? Can the Blip player be directed to a custom playlist
                hosted on our own server and pull from say... a combination of
                YouTube, Blip and S3 hosted FLV data?

                Does Blip mind saying if they're working off a Jeroen player codebase?
                Because then looking at the codebase might be a quick way of figuring
                out how to best use the Blip player until its better documented.

                -Gord

                --- In blip-users@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Sullivan" <sulleleven@...>
                wrote:

> [...]
                > > > toss it on their web pages. Again we want this to work w/the old
                > > player.
                > > >

                > > > 2.
                > > >
                > > > Different Feeds for different tagged videos made by the same user:
                > > >
                > > > Maybe there is a way to do this, but it eludes me.
                > > >
                > > > It would be awesome if we could use one account and provide various
                > > > feeds, each pertaining to a certain tag. Say we have videos about
                > > > topic X, we could tag the video "X" and then provide all the feeds
                > > > that blip does now for the account (iTunes, etc.) just for videos
                > > from
                > > > our account with that tag.
                > > >
                > > > That way, we can have subscription options tailored to certain
                > > > categories of video content.
                > > >
                > > > As it is right now, I'm going to have to use both YouTube and Blip
                > > > get the functionality I want. And if my issues can be resolved only

              • Mike Hudack
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 10, 2007
                  It's cool to use the Jeroen player, but ads from blip won't currently
                  work in it (but we're working with Jeroen to make it compatible with
                  blip ads).

                  You're also free to use the documentation of Jeroen's player for tips on
                  how to interact with the blip player... since they're of the same family
                  tree many configuration options for Jeroen's players will work with
                  blip's players.

                  wrote:

> [...]
                  > > > toss it on their web pages. Again we want this to work w/the old
                  > > player.
                  > > >

                  > > > 2.
                  > > >
                  > > > Different Feeds for different tagged videos made by the same user:
                  > > >
                  > > > Maybe there is a way to do this, but it eludes me.
                  > > >
                  > > > It would be awesome if we could use one account and provide
                  various
                  > > > feeds, each pertaining to a certain tag. Say we have videos about
                  > > > topic X, we could tag the video "X" and then provide all the feeds
                  > > > that blip does now for the account (iTunes, etc.) just for videos
                  > > from
                  > > > our account with that tag.
                  > > >
                  > > > That way, we can have subscription options tailored to certain
                  > > > categories of video content.
                  > > >
                  > > > As it is right now, I'm going to have to use both YouTube and Blip
                  > > > get the functionality I want. And if my issues can be resolved

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Angus McIntyre
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 10, 2007
                    Just to add a little more to what Mike just wrote ...

                    Gordon McDowell wrote:
                    > Does BLIP have a take on the JW Media Player? Does tapping into Blip
                    > feeds via that player do blip any sort of dis-service?

                    No, but you should be aware, however, that certain blip.tv-specific
                    features - such as advertising - won't work unless you use the blip.tv
                    players.

                    > Is it true that any SWF player (be it Blip's or Jeroen) can only pull
                    > from its own Domain for FLV data? I thought that was how flash
                    > security worked... but of course the SWF/FLV players have
                    > functionality beyond that. Anyone know what I'm mis-understanding there?

                    According to:

                    http://www.jeroenwijering.com/?item=embedding_flash

                    the cross-domain security policy in Flash doesn't apply to MP3 or FLV.

                    We've seen some of the pirated movie uploaders using the blip.tv player
                    to play movies hosted on Daily Motion and other sites.

                    > Does Blip mind saying if they're working off a Jeroen player codebase?

                    As Mike said, our players make extensive use of Jeroen's code (with his
                    permission, of course). The classic blip.tv player is an extension of
                    his original player, the new show player builds on his newer, more
                    feature-rich player.

                    Angus