An example 4x4x4 BLD solve

  • cmhardw
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 24, 2006
      Hey everyone,

      So yeah the work on the webpage is not proceding very well due to my
      jobs :-(

      I really don't want to be the guy that says I'll write up some info
      but then never does. So, here is an example solve of 4x4x4 BLD -
      literally every single thing that goes through my head when I do a solve.

      Below is the scramble and the description of everything about the
      solve. Before you scramble please hold the cube in the same
      orienation you consider to be the "solved" orientation. This will
      make it much easier to follow along with what I am doing.

      Scramble:
      F B R2 b r D' B' d2 l' D2 b L' U2 L2 f d' F' b l2 U' d2 L' F' D2 B2 L
      f2 F2 d' f' b d B2 b r2 D2 f U2 d l

      I actually memorized and solved this scramble before typing up this
      example to make sure I would write up exactly what I do, even during a
      real solve. The overall time was 8:41.85 minutes, which is pretty
      much right at my average lately, which has been in the 8:40's. The
      memorization step took 4:33 minutes and the solving then took 3:58
      minutes.

      After the scramble I always rotate the cube around to find the
      position with the most centers already solved. After scrambling the
      cube I did the rotation z' x'. If you don't like xyz notation I first
      rotated the whole cube counterclockwise as if I was doing the move F'
      and I then rotated the whole cube as if I was doing the move R'

      After the cube rotation I now have the following cycles on the cube:

      centers:
      lbU -> ufR -> ulF -> brD -> drB -> lfD -> rbU -> buL -> flU -> dbL ->
      urF -> dfR -> rfU -> drF -> dbR -> rfD -> dlF -> lbU

      edges:
      1) (lBU -> fUR -> fUL -> lDB -> uFR -> fDR -> rDB -> bUR -> lUF -> dBL
      -> uFL -> uBR -> bDL -> dFR -> rBU -> lDF -> uBL -> bDR -> lBU)
      2) (rUF <-> dFL)
      3) (bUL -> fDL -> dBR -> rDF -> bUL)

      I always memorize and solve in this order for the 4x4x4:

      1) memorize center permutation
      2) memorize edge permutation
      3) memorize corner permutaiton
      4) memorize corner orientation
      5) solve corner orientation
      6) solve corner permutation
      7) solve center permutation
      8) solve edge permutation

      During the memorization of this solve I debated memorizing and solving
      with center blocks on the F and R faces, but decided against it
      because I had already memorized one of the pieces I would have made a
      block out of into an image, and didn't want to rewrite the first
      journey location any.

      *****************
      MEMORIZATION STEP
      *****************

      center cycle: lbU -> ufR -> ulF -> brD -> drB -> lfD -> rbU -> buL ->
      flU -> dbL -> urF -> dfR -> rfU -> drF -> dbR -> rfD -> dlF -> lbU

      center cycle in letters: A -> I -> E -> V -> O -> W -> B -> Q -> C ->
      S -> F -> K -> D -> H -> L -> X -> G -> A

      The journey I was using was halfway through one of my 28 location
      journeys. This particular journey is a walk from my dormitory my
      junior year of college through to my class on the other side of campus.

      At each location I need to put at least three images, sometimes more
      which does happen on this solve during the edge memorization.

      Let me walk through each location one at a time:

      Location 1:
      -----------
      This location is outside the dining hall with a bunch of tables and
      chairs.

      At this location I have the letters AIEVO. I take the very first
      letter and give it a single letter image (famous person). This is so
      I know which piece is the first piece of every one of my three cycles.
      The letter is "A" so the image is "Dan Aykroyd".

      Ok, so now I have to take the letters in pairs after the first image
      is made. The next two are IE which is the Internet Explorer logo,
      only about 6 feet tall. The next two letters are VO which is a 2 foot
      tall Volcano that is spewing and erupting a huge column of ash.

      I put these images in a left-to-right order. So on the left Dan
      Aykroyd is rolling a giant 6 foot tall model of the Internet Explorer
      logo onto the top of the two foot tall volcano to clog it up and make
      it stop erupting ash everywhere.

      That's it. I don't really view the motion, it is just implied. I see
      the tables and chairs and the dining hall very clearly in the
      background, and in the foreground I see Dan Aykroyd (motionless) in
      the act of rolling the Internet Explorer logo onto the volcano. I
      picture the logo about 3/4 the way up the volcano, so that the volcano
      is still to the right of the Internet Explorer logo, which is to the
      right of Dan Aykroyd.

      Location 2:
      -----------
      This location is beside a wall about 20 feet away from the dining hall
      on the way to a set of stairs.

      At this location I have the letters WBQCSF. I now take letters in
      pairs always to make double images. The letters WB form the image of
      a giant 6 foot tall spider web between two large tree limbs. The
      letters QC form the image of a two foot tall Quaich. The letters SF
      form an image of a 4 foot tall model of the San Francisco Golden Gate
      bridge.

      At this location I can very clearly see the wall, as well as the hand
      railing leading to the stairwell that is the next location (all in the
      background). In the foreground I very clearly see (in left to right
      order) a giant web where a Quaich is falling into it having rolled off
      the end of the miniature San Francisco Golden Gate bridge.

      Location 3:
      -----------
      This location is at the bottom of the stair case pictured at the last
      location. I view it from the top of the staircase, looking at the
      space just after the last step at the bottom. There are maybe 6 steps
      to this staircase.

      The letters at this location are KDHLXG. KD forms the image of Billy
      the Kid the famous gunslinger. HL form the image of Satan as
      described by Dante in Dante's Inferno. The only difference is my
      image of him is about 5 feet tall instead of the massive proportions
      Dante gives him. The letters XG form the image of Gambit from the
      X-men (the guy who charges stuff with energy and the object then
      explodes after a few seconds).

      This image is graphic, but this is exactly how I memorize. I picture,
      in left to right order, Billy the kid drawing his pistol and quickly
      unloading all 6 rounds into Satan, who is trapped in the ice as in
      Dante's Inferno. This doesn't kill Satan, but only wounds him. To
      the right of Satan Gambit charges a playing card (his usual weapon)
      and places it in the mouth of Satan. When the card explodes it
      explodes Satan's head and blood and guts are thrown absolutely everywhere.

      Yes this image is graphic, but because of that it was very easy to
      memorize. Anything funny or violent tends to be easier to hold onto.

      **********
      BLAST DOOR
      **********

      Yes that literally is a blast door, like for a bomb shelter. I
      imagine a 200 foot tall steel blast door dropping down onto my journey
      in the space between the 3rd location and the 4th. I image that in
      order to get past the door I have to fly over it as if I were in a
      helicopter, and I literally picture this flight over the blast door.
      This is my marker that the centers are now done - i.e. when I get to
      the blast door during the solving phase, I know that what follows is
      now information for the edges.

      edge cycles:
      1) (lBU -> fUR -> fUL -> lDB -> uFR -> fDR -> rDB -> bUR -> lUF -> dBL
      -> uFL -> uBR -> bDL -> dFR -> rBU -> lDF -> uBL -> bDR -> lBU)
      2) (rUF <-> dFL)
      3) (bUL -> fDL -> dBR -> rDF -> bUL)

      edge cycles as letters:
      1) (Q -> F -> E -> S -> D -> H -> L -> M -> R -> U -> C -> B -> P -> X
      -> J -> T -> A -> O -> Q)
      2) (I <-> W)
      3) (N -> G -> V -> K)

      Location 4:
      -----------
      I am now memorzing the edge permutation. This location is at a "+"
      shaped intersection of two very large walkways leading into one of the
      quads on my school that is a very large enclosed rectangular space
      formed by about 8 buildings. I can clearly see the open space of the
      quad, as well as the two walkways at this location.

      The letters at this location are QFESD. I need to know which piece
      will be my main piece, or the one that will be the first piece in all
      of my cycles, so I take the first letter "Q" and make it into an
      image. The letter Q goes with the image "Queen". I now take the
      letters in pairs after the first piece. The next two letters FE form
      the image of a 10 foot tall Ferris Wheel. The next two letters SD
      form the image of a 10 foot long Star Destroyer (like from Star Wars)
      that is floating in the air about 6 feet above the ground.

      In left to right order I see the Queen hiding behind a miniature
      Ferris Wheel while a miniature Star Destroyer bombards it with lasers
      and explosives of all kinds. The ferris wheel is on fire and so
      decrepit it is about to collapse.

      Location 5:
      -----------
      This location is part-way down a pedestrian walkway that goes into the
      center of the large quad we are now in. I can picture a big tree and
      a small wall to the right.

      At this location I have the letters HLMRUC. HL stands for the Satan
      as portrayed by Dante again. MR stands for Marvin the paranoid
      android from Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy (as portrayed in the
      movie). UC stands for a Unicorn. In left to right order I see Satan
      frozen in the ice trying to frighten Marvin the android, who could not
      be more unimpressed. Satan gets pissed off about this, so he posesses
      a unicorn just to the right of (behind) Marvin and has the Unicorn ram
      it's horn through Marvin's head, effectively killing him.

      Location 6:
      -----------
      This location is the center of the quad, where the two largest
      walkways meet at a sort of tall skinny "X" shape. I can see the
      buildings on the other side of the quad as well as a very big tree to
      the left at this location.

      Here I have the letters BPXJTA. BP stands for a backpack which is
      oversized (about 6 feet tall) and filled with 100's of regular sized
      books. XJ is the image of Jubilee from the X-men. TA is the image of
      a tank with it's gun turret pointed menacingly at the object next to it.

      In left to right order I see a backpack lying on the ground, filled to
      the brim with books. Jubilee is using her sparks to completely
      destroy the backpack which is now on fire and billowing smoke
      everywhere. Behind her a tank aims and takes a shot from it's huge
      gun turret but Jubilee ducks out of the way just in time.

      I normally stop after three images, but this time I see that the next
      piece, the "O" piece, goes to the "Q" spot and completes this cycle.
      Instead of starting at a new location I tack on my single letter "O"
      image (Ozzy Osbourne) behind the tank, as if he were orchestrating the
      whole incident of the tank firing on Jubilee.

      This cycle is now finished. I know I am not done memorizing edges
      though, because I have only used three journey locations, and the
      average is 4 for edges. During the actual solve I looked around for
      an edge I had not used yet when I spotted the two cycle (rUF <-> dFL)
      or in my letters that is (I <-> W). Rather than start this image at
      the next journey location, since a two cycle is always just one image,
      I tack it on to the current location just behind Ozzy Osbourne, only
      surrounded by curtains on both the left and right. This is my
      miniature, within a journey location, form for the "BLAST DOOR". It
      lets me know that the image within the curtains is a two cycle. I got
      this idea from John Louis, so thank you very much! The image for IW
      is a "Y-Wing" space fighter from Star Wars. Within curtains I imagine
      the Y-Wing taking aim at Ozzy Osbourney (through the curtains) to take
      him out and make him stop firing on Jubilee with the Tank.

      REHEARSAL:
      ----------
      OK so I know I have used a 3 locations, and a little more since there
      are 5 images at my 3rd location instead of the usual 3. I know that I
      am not done, but I have no idea how many edges are left to look for.
      So I go over my images (just for edges). I sort of half use this as
      rehearsal for my edges and half to just count them and find out how
      many edges I have memorized right now. I counted 20 edges when I went
      back through my edge images. I now glance quickly at the cube to see
      that no edges are already in their solved locations - I saw none. So
      I know that there are 4 edges somewhere to look for. I find them and
      they are in one cycle, which I put at my last location.

      Location 7:
      -----------
      This location is on the other side of the quad. I am very close to
      the buildings that before were only in the background.

      At this location I have the 4 cycle (N->G->V->K->N). I take the N and
      make it into a single letter image, that of Chuck Norris. The GV I
      put together as a giant Gavel, about 6 feet tall. Since I only have
      one piece left, the K, I make it into a single letter image of Chris
      Katan from Saturday Night Live.

      In left to right order I see Chuck Norris roundhouse kicking a giant
      Gavel so hard that it slams into Chris Katan and knocks him over.

      ****END OF JOURNEY****

      I now know that I am done memorizing the centers and edges, since I
      have accounted for all 24 edges. I now memorize the Corner
      permutation visually and the Corner orientation visually. Then I put
      on the blindfolded.

      *************
      SOLVING PHASE
      *************

      Solving the corners is pretty uninteresting I think, since you can
      just use the same stuff as from the 2x2x2 or 3x3x3. The only change
      is that you *HAVE* to use supercube safe algs (algs that don't rotate
      center caps if done on a supercube).

      Here is how I solved the corners:

      Corner orientation:
      y' R' U2 R U R' U R L U2 L' U' L U' L' followed by U' R U R' U' R U R'
      L' U' R U R' U' R U R' L' U' R U R' U' R U R' L2 y

      or if you don't prefer xyz notation the above is equivalent to F' U2 F
      U F' U F B U2 B' U' B U' B' followed by U' F U F' U' F U F' B' U' F U
      F' U' F U F' B' U' F U F' U' F U F' B2

      Corner permutation:
      1) UBL->DFL->UFL : D F2 L' B' L F2 L' B L D'
      2) UBL->UFR->DBL : (L B' L' B)x3 D2 (R F' R' F)x3 D2
      3) (UBL <-> DBR) and (UBR <-> DFR) : F2 D (L' B L B')x3 D' F2

      Centers:
      --------
      Ok time to actually solve the centers now.

      First location: Dan Aykroyd->Internet Explorer->Volcano
      A->IE->VO

      I start with Dan Aykroyd then I take the first image, Internet Explorer.

      Those are the letters AIE which is the cycle lbU->ufR->ulF :
      1) To solve I use the commutator: [f' U' f, u']

      I am here using the same notation I learned from Stefan and Per. [f'
      u' f, u'] means to perform the first part, then the second part, then
      the inverse of the first part, then the inverse of the second part.

      So [f' u' f, u'] = (f' u' f) (u') (f' u f) (u) = f' u' f u' f' u f u

      2) After Internet Explorer comes VO. So the cycle is now A->VO or
      lbU->rbD->drB.
      lbU->rbD->drB : D' r' [U', b d b'] r D

      3) Aykroyd->Web or A->WB or lbU->lfD->rbU : [b' R' b, l2]
      4) Aykroyd->Quaich or A->QC or lbU->ubL : [U, l u' l']
      5) Aykroyd->San Francisco or A->SF or lbU->dbL->urF : L2 [f U2 f', u] L2
      6) Aykroyd->Billy the Kid or A->KD or lbU->dfR->rfU : [U2, b d2 b']
      7) Aykroyd->Satan or A->HL or lbU->drF->bdR : [r U2 r', d']
      8) Aykroyd->Gambit or A->XG or lbU->rfD->dlF : r2 [b d' b', U'] r2

      Centers are now solved. Notice that only three of the three cycles
      required setup moves. One of the three cycles required two. Average
      number of setup moves needed before being able to perform a commutator
      was 4/7 or 0.57 moves.

      Ok now I realize that I have run into the blast door. So I know that
      the next stuff I recall deals with edges.

      Edges:
      ------

      The first location has me recalling Queen, then the very next image is
      a Ferris Wheel.

      1) Queen->Ferris Wheel or Q->FE or lBU->fUR->fUL : [R B' R', f]
      2) Queen->Star Destroyer or Q->SD or lBU->lDB->uFR : R [U', B d B'] R'
      3) Queen->Satan or Q->HL or lBU->fDR->rDB : [B2, U' f2 U]
      4) Queen->Marvin the Paranoid Android or Q->MR or lBU->bUR->lUF : F'
      [B d' B', U'] F
      5) Queen->Unicorn or Q->UC or lBU->dBL->uFL : [L2, F' l2 F]
      6) Queen->BackPack or Q->BP or lBU->uBR->bDL : [U b2 U', B]
      7) Queen->Jubilee or Q->XJ or lBU->dFR->rUB : l [B' d B, U2] l'
      8) Queen->Tank or Q->TA or lBU->lDF->uBL : F2 [U2, F' u' F] F2
      performed as F2 U2 F' u' F U2 F' u F'
      9) Queen<->Osbourne and Y-Wing OR (Q <-> O) and (I <-> W) or (lBU <->
      bDR) and (rUF <-> dFL)
      Done as two three cycles
      9a) [r' D' r, U2]
      9b) [U2, B d' B']
      10) Chuck Norris -> Gavel or N->GV or bUL->fDL->dBR : [b' R' b, L2]
      11) Chuck Norris -> Chris Katan or (N <-> K) This is edge parity. To
      solve I did:
      f' D' f y' r2 B2 U2 l U2 r' U2 r U2 F2 r F2 l' B2 r2 y f' D f

      The cube is now solved.

      The three cycles averaged at 4 setup moves in 11 cycles or 0.36 setup
      moves per three cycle. Parity used 3 setup moves, which is probably
      average. A lot of cases require 4 setup moves if you want to preserve
      centers. If you don't mind not preserving centers you might average
      2.5 setup moves for parity.

      Hope this helps. I tried to include absolutely everything, and
      looking back over it that is how a BLD solve feels to me.

      I double checked this message about three times, and the solve and
      scramble work. If you work through the solve and it doesn't work try
      again, because I double checked and there are no typos in the scramble
      alg or in the stuff about solving.

      Chris
    • kyuubree
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 24, 2006
        Great post... my only question is why you do not do the corners last?

        --- In blindfoldsolving-rubiks-cube@yahoogroups.com, "cmhardw"
        <foozman17@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > 11) Chuck Norris -> Chris Katan or (N <-> K) This is edge parity. To
        > solve I did:
        > f' D' f y' r2 B2 U2 l U2 r' U2 r U2 F2 r F2 l' B2 r2 y f' D f
        >
        > The cube is now solved.
        >
        > The three cycles averaged at 4 setup moves in 11 cycles or 0.36 setup
        > moves per three cycle. Parity used 3 setup moves, which is probably
        > average. A lot of cases require 4 setup moves if you want to preserve
        > centers. If you don't mind not preserving centers you might average
        > 2.5 setup moves for parity.

        > Hope this helps. I tried to include absolutely everything, and
        > looking back over it that is how a BLD solve feels to me.
        >
        > I double checked this message about three times, and the solve and
        > scramble work. If you work through the solve and it doesn't work try
        > again, because I double checked and there are no typos in the scramble

      • Daniel Beyer
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 24, 2006
          Excellent example. I didn't do the scramble, but I read it all the
          way through. I must go and practice now. It's been a while since
          I've tried memorizing the 4x4 or 5x5. I'm finally "trying" to learn
          OLL and the G Perms. Once again, though, Blindfolded cubing is
          taking precedence.

          I agree, why solve the corners first? However, I'm not confident in
          my big cube blindfolded abilities yet. So I don't know why you've
          chosen this way. Perhaps it just feels better. Just as different
          memorization methods feel better.

          I did just realize that he's posted before about blindfold solving a
          cube and he messed up the Corner Permutation, when the rest of the
          cube was perfect. So perhaps he'd rather use short term memo for
          his corners in BLD.

          --- In blindfoldsolving-rubiks-cube@yahoogroups.com, "kyuubree"
          <agent_m80@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > in the space between the 3rd location and the 4th. I image that
          in
          > > order to get past the door I have to fly over it as if I were in
          > > helicopter, and I literally picture this flight over the blast
          door.
          > > This is my marker that the centers are now done - i.e. when I
          get to
          > > the blast door during the solving phase, I know that what
          follows is
          > > now information for the edges.
          > >
          > > edge cycles:
          > > 1) (lBU -> fUR -> fUL -> lDB -> uFR -> fDR -> rDB -> bUR -> lUF -
          > dBL
          > > -> uFL -> uBR -> bDL -> dFR -> rBU -> lDF -> uBL -> bDR -> lBU)
          > > 2) (rUF <-> dFL)
          > > 3) (bUL -> fDL -> dBR -> rDF -> bUL)
          > >
          > > edge cycles as letters:
          > > 1) (Q -> F -> E -> S -> D -> H -> L -> M -> R -> U -> C -> B ->
          P -> X
> [...]
          > >
          > > The cube is now solved.
          > >
          > > The three cycles averaged at 4 setup moves in 11 cycles or 0.36
          setup
          > > moves per three cycle. Parity used 3 setup moves, which is
          probably
          > > average. A lot of cases require 4 setup moves if you want to
          preserve
          > > centers. If you don't mind not preserving centers you might
          average
          > > 2.5 setup moves for parity.

          > > Hope this helps. I tried to include absolutely everything, and
          > > looking back over it that is how a BLD solve feels to me.
          > >
          > > I double checked this message about three times, and the solve
          and
          > > scramble work. If you work through the solve and it doesn't
          work try
          > > again, because I double checked and there are no typos in the

        • Daniel Beyer
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 26, 2006
            I took the time yesterday to make several blindfolded attempts on
            the 4x4 cage. I believe I made three. I sat down to memorize one
            and I was distracted by a mediocre chore, so I stopped. My Second
            attempt, I spent about 13 minutes memorizing the cage and I go for
            the solve. I had the scramble perfectly memorized. I start corner
            permutation first, and I messed up the exectution of my first corner
            alg. I was doing the left handed Y perm. And everything just felt
            wrong! I stopped then and there ); ... My third attempt I did at
            my grandmother's just before work. Memo 16 minutes; Execution 13
            minutes. I recalled everything perfectly. There was no 3x3 or 4x4
            parity. However, I messed up a setup. Once again it felt wrong. I
            tried to fix it. The error occurred in the last 6 edges. It was so
            close! I have a long way to go. There was one cubie I was lost on
            during the final execution. I recalled the chess game. I recalled
            the accelerated math class lesson. After permuting 15 cubies I
            start a new cycle. I started at lUB.

            So I recalled:
            "Skip to Mu; Dragoon" ... very long pause ... another pause ...
            ohh, "Dragoon becomes King." "Lamba, Ace, Galanoth, Mu" Solved
            The rUF was permuted by default, that's my 4x4 reference point. The
            lUF was solved too. Resulting in 21 permutations + 1 new cycle = no
            parity. I was glad that I was able to recall the King image.

            That cycle equals:
            Skip to lUB; fUL->rDB->lDB->rUB->bUL->lUB;

            Haha, I just realized another life adventure. I can cause my images
            to have accidents that my families experienced. Such as my 3yr old
            sister cutting all of her hair off, or my getting ran off the road
            last week. A brother getting injured on 4th of july.

            Later,
            Daniel Beyer
            <foozman17@...> wrote:

> [...]
            >
            > I just broke my record for 4x4x4 BLD with a new best time of
            7:23.28
            > minutes! The coolest part though was the breakdown of the solve.
            >
            > The memorization took me about 4:25-4:26 I can't remember which
            > exactly. Let's just say 4:26 to be safe. This means that I
            solved in
            > 2 minutes 57 seconds, a sub-3 minute solve while blindfolded!
            >
            > I was trying something new on this solve, and that was to memorize
            at
            > my normal pace, but to try to plan ahead what my next step would be
            > while executing the current step. 4:26 memorization is fairly
            average
            > for me right now, maybe 5-10 seconds slower than my overall average
            > average for memo. But 2:57 solving is by far the best I've ever
            done
            > on the solving phase, by about 23 seconds!
            >
            > What I did was while I was actually performing a three cycle to
            try to
            > not only see which images come up for my next three cycle, but to
            > picture which pieces those are and also which three cycle I will
            use.
            > I found that this meant that a couple times I did 2 three cycles
            one
            > right after the other with hardly any delay between them! I'd
            like to
            > get to the point where I can do this continuously throughout the
            whole
            > solve, I definitely think it will be possible.
            >
            > I was thinking that to speed up I needed to work solely on memo,
            but
            > this showed me my solving has a ways to go too.
            >
            > With my record 3:20 fastest ever correct memorization and this new
            > 2:57 fastest ever correct solve I predict a 6:17 solve overall
            will be
            > possible for the 4x4x4, and most likely even faster. I'm starting
            > really think that a sub-6 minute overall solve might actually be a
            > possiblity with another year or two of practice (for a best single
            > time, not an average I mean).
            >
            > Yay big cubes BLD! This is so much fun! I really can see
            improvement
            > in this just like in regular speedcubing. You don't improve for a
            > while, and then you make a big jump. Then you hit a plateau for a
            > while and later have another big jump - just like speedcubing.
            >
            > I think you don't really need a phenomenal natural memory right
            from
            > the start, you can just treat it like speedcubing and practice a
            lot
            > to get faster memorization times.
            >
            > Just had to post, I'm focusing almost entirely on my 4x4x4 BLD
            right
            > now, but will eventually start trying to apply what I learn to the
            > 5x5x5 as well. I really want to start getting sub-20 minutes on
            the
            > 5x5x5 fairly often before RWC2007, and averaging sub-8 on 4x4x4 as

          • cmhardw
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 26, 2006
              <agent_m80@...> wrote:

              > Great post... my only question is why you do not do the corners last?

              Hey Marcus,

              I've just found that I really like solving them first so during
              memorization I can just barely memorize them, just long enough to put
              on the blindfolded and solve them.

              There is one major downside though, if I get corner parity, I have to
              wait until after I solve the centers before I can fix it since an odd
              permutation on the corners must also perform an odd permutation on the
              centers (supercube-wise).

              I've found though that if I use auditory memory to help me remember I
              have parity in the corners it helps a lot. Once I know I have corner
              parity I literally say out loud "corner parity" and I have found that
              it usually sticks in my mind long enough for me to finish centers, and
              still remember that on this solve (not the one before) I have corner
              parity, since it's still ringing in my head so to speak.

              It's just a personal preference, I know solving them last would be
              fast too, since I wouldn't even have this corner parity problem, but I
              prefer to do it this way after trying both.

              Chris