April 1 SparkysHeart -- 1 Samuel 16-17

  • George Jackson, Jr.
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2007
      April 1 SparkysHeart -- 1 Samuel 16-17
      Sparky's Prayer: "Help us, Lord, to listen to Your voice and to hear
      Your promises and not the doubts of others. Lord, help us to remember
      that the giant in our lives are no match for Your power. Lord, help
      us to see that our giant is really the fool and not us, because we
      have You on our side. Thank You, Lord that You take control of the
      situation and give us the victory and the enemy will flee in terror
      and that our problem is small to God. In Jesus' saving name we pray.

      1 Corinthians 5:1-8 -- Discipline in Truth
      Paul's Prayer: "Dear Heavenly Father, Who disciplines us for our own
      good: Save Your church from the sexual perversions that are taking
      place in our society. Let us show Your love to sinners and show them
      how to receive forgiveness. But may we also say, as Jesus said, "Sin
      no more!" Help us to exercise discipline, even to the removal of
      unrepentant members, delivering them over to Satan for the
      destruction of the flesh so that their spirits may be saved in the
      day of the Lord Jesus. Help us not to cover up sin and then boast
      about our tolerance! For a little yeast can ferment a whole lump of
      dough! Help us remove the leaven of sin, so that our churches will be
      like pure unleavened bread. Since Christ, our Passover lamb, has been
      sacrificed, let us celebrate the festival, not with the leaven of
      malice and evil, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and
      truth. In the precious name of Jesus we ask for wisdom in matters of
      discipline and for the loving spirit of the Savior Himself. In Jesus'
      saving name we pray. Amen."

      VERSE: For the foolishness of God is wiser than man's wisdom, and the
      weakness of God is stronger than man's strength. 1 Corinthians 1:25,
      THOUGHT: God's ultimate "foolishness" is His willingness to use the
      cross to bring others to Him. At first glance, the cross is a hideous
      and horrible tool. In our human wisdom, we could never visualize
      using a man crucified as criminal scum to capture the hearts of the
      world. But God does. The cross transcends cultural boundaries,
      overcomes language barriers, and reaches across racial differences.
      The cross is God's demonstration of foolishness and weakness, and
      through it He conquers death and brings our hearts to Him.
      PRAYER: On this day, Father God, when many people play games and
      tricks and play the fool, we are powerfully reminded of
      Your "foolishness" and "weakness" at Calvary with Jesus. Words cannot
      express how powerfully they have touched us with Your love and filled
      us with the assurance of Your grace. Thank You! We are utterly amazed
      that You would love us so. In Jesus' saving name we pray. Amen.

      What Jesus Did! Back to Earth!
      Matthew 8:1-2 (NLT) Large crowds followed Jesus as He came down the
      mountainside. Suddenly, a man with leprosy approached Jesus. He knelt
      before Him, worshiping. "Lord," the man said, "if You want to, You
      can make me well again."
      WJD THOUGHT: Sooner or later, after our moment in the sun, we all
      have to come down from the mountain. Jesus has taught His disciples
      wondrously and authoritatively. But no sooner does He come down from
      the mountain than He is hit with problems. But rather than resenting
      the problems, He seizes those problems and displays the compassion
      and power of God Himself. The word that was authoritative with the
      Sermon on the Mount; now becomes the authoritative in the everyday
      horrors of broken people. When people come to honestly worship Him,
      they leave feeling incredibly pumped up, because He not only takes
      care of the physical ailments but their deeper Spiritual ones as well.
      WJD PRAYER: "Father God, thank You for Jesus' examples of reaching
      out to those in need around Him. Thank You even more that His word is
      not just powerful in the message, but also in the practical everyday
      life struggles of common people. His promise gives us assurance that
      He will not forget our prayers to grow and mature. In the saving name
      of the Compassionate Carpenter of Nazareth we pray. Amen."

      What Jesus Did! Looking to Bless
      Mark 5:30-34 (NLT) Jesus realized at once that healing power had gone
      out from Him, so He turned around in the crowd and asked, "Who
      touched My clothes?" His disciples said to Him, "All this crowd is
      pressing around You. How can You ask, `Who touched Me?' "But He kept
      on looking around to see who had done it. Then the frightened woman,
      trembling at the realization of what had happened to her, came and
      fell at His feet and told Him what she had done. And He said to
      her, "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace. You have
      been healed."
      WJD THOUGHT: At first glance, we can misinterpret Jesus' intentions.
      Some have said that Jesus is just trying to make sure others see that
      He has done a great miracle. However, if we listen to the Spirit's
      message in this event, we see that Jesus is looking to bless this
      woman for her demonstration of faith. Affirmation for major steps
      taken in faith abound in the New Testament. Now if we can just make
      them abound in our churches and families!
      WJD PRAYER: "Loving Father God, thank You for adopting us into Your
      people and Your family. Use us to help welcome others who come to be
      a part of Your people of faith. Use us to bless and affirm their
      efforts to honor You. In Jesus' saving name we pray. Amen."

      What Jesus Did! Careless and Care-less Joy
      Luke 6:25 (NLT) "What sorrows await you who are satisfied and
      prosperous now, for a time of awful hunger is before you. What
      sorrows await you who laugh carelessly, for your laughing will turn
      to mourning and sorrow."
      WJD THOUGHT: Jesus enjoyed the fellowship of sinners to redeem them
      and welcome them into God's family. Jesus knew how to enjoy a party!
      (Remember the party that Matthew threw to introduce his sinful
      friends to Jesus?) Jesus talked about God's joyous party for
      returning sinners (Luke 15). However, Jesus had no part of careless
      joy. Careless joy is that self-satisfied, look what I've done,
      arrogant joy that could care less if anyone else is unhappy or
      mistreated. This shallow joy cannot survive the hardships of life and
      the permanence of death. It is a vain attempt to escape from the
      hollowness of life without the Savior. Sorrow, awful hunger, and
      mourning await those who live such a life.
      WJD PRAYER: "God of mercy and justice, we are concerned about the
      many people who try to fill their days with careless joy trying to
      drive out the emptiness in their hearts. Use us to help them find the
      wellspring of eternal joy found in Your grace and the presence of
      Your Holy Spirit. In Jesus' saving name we pray. Amen."

      What Jesus Did! Stop!
      John 5:14-15 (NLT) But afterward Jesus found him in the Temple and
      told him, "Now you are well; so stop sinning, or something even worse
      will happen to you." Then the man went to find the Jewish leaders and
      told them it was Jesus Who had healed him.
      WJD THOUGHT: Stop sinning! Interesting, isn't it, that while all the
      fury and fuss were about Jesus' supposed sin on the Sabbath, the real
      sinner was the man who is healed. He didn't want to take
      responsibility for anything. He wouldn't go out on the limb to honor
      Jesus and follow Him. Jesus warns him and he ignores it. He goes and
      immediately betrays Jesus into the hands of those who would do Him
      harm. When we become ashamed to share the testimony of what Jesus is
      doing in our lives, the sad reality is, we are easily conscripted to
      do holy sounding things that actually do the Kingdom great harm.
      Jesus says to us, "Stop sinning!" Let's heed His warning today.
      WJD Prayer: "Heavenly Father, stop us and confront us when especially
      things that sound religious, but which are really sin are leading us
      astray. Give us a clearer and more holy understanding of Your will in
      our lives and a more powerful and holy influence upon our friends. In
      Jesus' saving name we pray. Amen."

      Daily Guide to Miracles from Oral Roberts Ministries
      It's Sunday, but Friday's Coming! -- Richard Roberts; PALM SUNDAY
      Today is Palm Sunday. I want you to imagine for a moment what it must
      have been like in JerUSAlem when Jesus made His triumphant entry into
      the city riding on a donkey. Mark 11:1-11 tells how the huge crowd
      hailed Him and clamored to see Him as they waved palm branches. They
      shouted, "Hosanna!" which means, "Save now, Lord!" But they didn't
      realize that in order for Jesus to save them, He had to go to the
      Cross. Only five days later those same people were
      screaming, "Crucify Him!"
      That must have been an emotional roller-coaster ride for Jesus. Palm
      Sunday was a time of rejoicing. Friday, the day of the Crucifixion,
      was a time of obedience and submission to God's will. But it was also
      the road to our deliverance!
      Let's bring this down to where you and I live. When we hear the Good
      News of the Gospel we begin to rejoice, but obedience and dying to
      self must take place before the Good News can operate in our lives.
      We have to obey God's Word and take up our cross daily. [Jesus]
      said . . . "Anyone who wants to follow Me must put aside his own
      desires and conveniences and carry his cross with him every day and
      keep close to Me!" Luke 9:23 (TLB)
      That's the true message of the Cross!
      The Cross was not an easy place, but it was what Jesus had to endure
      so that we could receive the gift of salvation. Thank God, the true
      message of the Cross doesn't end in the grave! On the third day Jesus
      Christ rose from the dead! And that's a good word for you and me
      today. It means that at the other end of the cross we can expect a
      miracle-we can expect resurrection!
      My Declaration of Faith for Today: I put aside my own desires and
      take up my cross daily so the delivering power of the Word can
      operate in my life.
      Remember, "Something GOOD is going to happen to you!"
      Visit the Make Your Day Count web site at

      The Stones Will Cry Out
      Luke 19:38-40 - "Blessed is the king who comes in the name of the
      Lord!" "Peace in heaven and glory in the highest!" Some of the
      Pharisees in the crowd said to Jesus, "Teacher, rebuke Your
      disciples!" "I tell you," he replied, "if they keep quiet, the stones
      will cry out." (NIV)
      On top of the Mount of Olives, I was handed a branch from a palm
      tree. It was Palm Sunday, and I was standing looking out over the
      place where Jesus stood before entering JerUSAlem. I stood in awe,
      thinking back to that day when the King was coming. I closed my eyes,
      hearing the crowd and visualizing Jesus sitting on a colt of a
      donkey, one that had never been ridden.
      Can we imagine Jesus riding a colt that had never been ridden? Did
      the colt react with resentment at this new burden? Or was it hushed
      in humility, sensing the importance of the occasion and fearing
      nothing, as Jesus mounted it for His glorious entry into the city,
      while people spread palm branches and their cloaks upon the ground in
      the path He was to take?
      I was only one of those handed a palm branch, as we made our way down
      the steep embankment to the road below. We cheered, as did the people
      of old, waving our branches. It was an emotional time, and I shall
      never forget how I thought about the Pharisees in the crowd who
      pleaded with Jesus to rebuke the disciples!
      Jesus replied that there was no way to do that. As His disciples
      today, we, too, are asked to tell the story to others; for if we do
      not, the very stones themselves will surely cry out.
      We come in agreement with Anne's Prayer: Dear Lord, we give thanks
      for those who have told the story of the King. We give thanks for His
      triumphal entrance into JerUSAlem, and His entry into our hearts
      where He lives today. Help us to continue to tell the story to those
      who have never heard. Help us not to falter or to force the stones to
      cry out. Jesus is our Lord, our Saviour, and Your Son, Who came to
      save us from our sin. We thank You. In Jesus' saving name we pray.
      Anne Russell -- anbrussell@...
      Brampton, Ontario, Canada

      WHAT JESUS DID! They Received The Holy Spirit
      Acts 8:16-19 For He had not yet fallen upon any of them, but they had
      only been baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus. [17] Then [the
      apostles] laid their hands on them one by one, and they received the
      Holy Spirit. [18] However, when Simon saw that the [Holy] Spirit was
      imparted through the laying on of the apostles' hands, he brought
      money and offered it to them, [19] Saying, Grant me also this power
      and authority, in order that anyone on whom I place my hands may
      receive the Holy Spirit.