Re: [bixo-dev] 0.7.1 distribution available

  • Ken Krugler
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 27 6:53 AM
      Hi Michele,

      Thanks for the continued input, it's useful.

      Yes, we need to include some information that clarifies how to build a separate tool (as a job jar) using Bixo.

      On my list, hopefully this weekend.

      Regards,

      -- Ken

      On Apr 19, 2012, at 2:18am, Michele Costabile wrote:

      Hello all. Today I started with a freshly extracted bixo 0.7.1 archive download.

      bin/bixo crawl

      runs with no problems

      bin/bixo bixo.examples.webmining.WebMiningTool -agentname frooga -workingdir $HOME/Desktop/webmining

      did not run, failed to see the seed urls file (found in directory examples/src/main/resources/). I think two lines about how to fix this would be welcome. I tried to move the working directory in various places, trying to match what Eclipse does, but this did not solve the problem.

      top level ant eclipe

      perfectly fine

      examples ant eclipse

      makes a working project and WebMiningTool runs smoothly. So, I think the most effective way to start a web mining project might be to clone this project and start hacking, leaving the rest of bixo aside in the external dependencies. There is the need for a bit of explanation about how to create a self standing jar for running from the command line or a hadoop job for deploying on a cluster.
      I have seen http://openbixo.org/documentation/running-bixo-in-ec2/, but am not clear about how would I include my own version of webmining in the job. Also, I am not sure where would my output go in the cloud. This part could be described a little better. By the way, I have done a lot of technical driving (not very much in English, but I have published for fifteeen year in Italian) and I might help, if need be. I might also consider writing a book, with some help from the committers.

      +1 530-210-6378

      Ken Krugler
      custom big data solutions & training
      Hadoop, Cascading, Mahout & Solr