10th anniversary Birdy 20"

  • carsten_thies
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 1, 2005
      Peter de Leuw, moderator of the german birdy-freunde yahoo list,
      published some interesting bits of information:

      1995 the Birdy was launched. So this year is 10th Birdy anniversary,
      May 20th - 22nd in Darmstadt. :o)

      From May 2005, there will be an anniversary model, the "fastest Birdy
      ever". You can find details and a pic at
      http://www.birdy-freunde.de/news/index.html

      at the bottom of the article is a link to a large photograph:
      http://www.pdeleuw.de/bf/img/10-jahre-birdy.jpg (250.11 KB,256117 Byte)

      This special model is limited to 100 bikes. It is equipped with
      Shimano 105 components, sports a front derailleur and weighs in at
      only 9.9 kg. Price in Germany is Euro 1.899 (MTB bar) or Euro 1.999
      (drop bar with STI levers).

      \_|
      O°O Carsten
    • Bob Gelman
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 2, 2005
        We had a report from a guy in Chicago Tom, that cheap low inflation
        kids knobby tires were available at Toys R Us, and worked very well in the
        snow, something I believe you get there in Mich. ;) We were in the
        '70's (Fahrenheit) yesterday around here (one 78 degree temp !!!) Amazing
        Spring Weather!!! I was riding in shorts/short sleeves.... Maybe Detroit's
        Mayor should get a Birdy ??? (ha, ha)

        Bob

        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 2, 2005
          The double chainring looks quite nice. And that they implemented
          STI dropped bars is COOL !!! AND 20" wheels too!!!

          Bob

          Peter de Leuw, moderator of the german birdy-freunde yahoo list,
          published some interesting bits of information:

          1995 the Birdy was launched. So this year is 10th Birdy anniversary,
          May 20th - 22nd in Darmstadt. :o)

          From May 2005, there will be an anniversary model, the "fastest Birdy
          ever". You can find details and a pic at
          http://www.birdy-freunde.de/news/index.html

          at the bottom of the article is a link to a large photograph:
          http://www.pdeleuw.de/bf/img/10-jahre-birdy.jpg (250.11 KB,256117 Byte)

          This special model is limited to 100 bikes. It is equipped with
          Shimano 105 components, sports a front derailleur and weighs in at
          only 9.9 kg. Price in Germany is Euro 1.899 (MTB bar) or Euro 1.999
          (drop bar with STI levers).

          \_|
          O°O Carsten

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Tom McGuire

            > The city where I ride my Green Birdy is Highland Park, Michigan ( A city
            surrounded by Detroit) an African American community that is on the for
            front of the new urban recovery. There are many more cyclist on the road
            than just a few years ago. There will be a market for foldables in the new
            urban environments. Tom McGuire

            > Bob Gelman wrote:
            > What part of the world is that Tom ?
            >
            > Bob (near Berkeley California)

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Tom McGuire

          • Peter de Leuw
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 2, 2005
              carsten_thies schrieb am 01.02.2005 22:45 Uhr:

              > Peter de Leuw, moderator of the german birdy-freunde yahoo list,
              > published some interesting bits of information:

              Thanks, Carsten, for the translation ...

              Peter

              --
              Peter de Leuw
              Rellingen, Germany
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 3, 2005
                Dear Peter,

                Just wanted you to know that it really DOES sadden me that your site
                is German Only :( You've done such a terriffic job with it and it
                is SO very informative. And you always get the latest news first.... etc.,
                etc. I don't visit there often because the Bablefish German to English
                translations are horrible on tech oriented sites (maybe they work better for
                love letters ;) ).

                Yes, if you or Carsten, or anyone else sees something over there that
                you could pass along HERE to us non-German readers we'd greatly appreciate
                it !

                Cheers,

                Bob

                > carsten_thies schrieb am 01.02.2005 22:45 Uhr:
                >
                > > Peter de Leuw, moderator of the german birdy-freunde yahoo list,
                > > published some interesting bits of information:
                >
                > Thanks, Carsten, for the translation ...
                >
                > Peter
                >

                > --
                > Peter de Leuw
                > Rellingen, Germany
                > http://www.birdy-freunde.de/
                > http://www.pdeleuw.de/fahrrad/birdy.html (deutsch)
                > http://www.pdeleuw.de/fahrrad/birdye.html (engl.)
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Martin Donnelly
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 3, 2005
                  > From: Bob Gelman
                  > The double chainring looks quite nice. And that they
                  implemented
                  > STI dropped bars is COOL !!! AND 20" wheels too!!!

                  Looks like a cross between my first and third Birdys. Same problem as
                  I had with 20 inch wheels - bottom bracket too high. At least I had
                  an excuse, using swingarms made for 18 inch wheels. As R&M have made
                  new swingarms, they have no excuse. But I don't doubt that the 20
                  inch wheels really feel better (although I'm not sure they're
                  actually faster if the road surface is smooth, they are certainly
                  faster when it's rough and bumpy).

                  Pity it's so heavy (9.9 kg without pedals !). But that's the reason
                  that they can claim it's the fastest, it'll go really well downhill.
                  Not that I'd recommend going fast downhill until they've solved the
                  shimmy problem.

                  The bit of wire that keeps the chain tight when folded looks as if it
                  will give trouble when the small chainwheel is used...

                  Despite the criticism, I'm pleased they're making an effort. But are
                  they going to modify the guarantee to allow it to be used in
                  Paris-Brest-Paris ?

                  Martin
                • Peter de Leuw
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 4, 2005
                    Dear Bob,

                    Bob Gelman schrieb am 03.02.2005 18:25 Uhr:

                    > Just wanted you to know that it really DOES sadden me that your site
                    > is German Only :(

                    hm, translation woulb be a hard job ... it would take months! But you know
                    bablefish ...

                    > You've done such a terriffic job with it and it
                    > is SO very informative. And you always get the latest news first.... etc.,

                    :-)

                    > etc. I don't visit there often because the Bablefish German to English
                    > translations are horrible on tech oriented sites (maybe they work better for
                    > love letters ;) ).

                    Perhaps I should include some love letters?

                    Here the facts about the Birdy 20":

                    Frame: Aluminium 7005 T6 (as all Birdys)
                    Colour: Aluminium, brushed (?)
                    Suspension: as known from other Birdys
                    Tires: dropbar-version: Schwalbe Stelvio 28-406, MTB-version: Schwalbe
                    Marathon Slick 35-406
                    rims: Alex DA-16, 20 inch, 24 hole, black
                    hubs: front: Birdy, 24-hole, rear: Shimano Capreo, 24-hole
                    cranks: Shimano 105, 53-39 t, 170 mm, black
                    sprocket: Shimano Capreo: 9-10-11-13-15-17-20-23-26
                    derailleur: Shimano 105 SGS, black
                    front derailleur: Shimano 105, braze on version, black
                    shifter/brakelever: dropbar-version: Shimano 105 STI, MTB-version: Shimano
                    rapid fire SL-R440PA/Deore LX
                    saddle: fi¹zi:k [cp] vitesse
                    pedals: dropbar-version: none, MTB-version: MTB Aluminium, VP-196
                    handlebar: dropbar-version: Syntace Racelite 7075, MTB-version: Syntace VRO
                    BAR 7075
                    stem: Syntace VRO
                    brakes: front: Tektro RX 5 Mini-V, black, rear: Tektro MT-15, black
                    Entfaltung: 2,18 bis 8,55 m
                    weight: 9,9 kg (dropbar-version widthout pedals)
                    folded package size: 80 x 62 x 37 cm, dropbar-version is bigger
                    accessories: mudguards, rack SL, expedition rack, lowrider, kick-stand,
                    suitcase, bags, framebag, elastomers rear yellow and green, harder damper
                    for the front suspension spring
                    price in Germany: dropbar-version: Euro 1.999, MTB-version: Euro 1.899

                    Cheers,

                    Peter

                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 5, 2005
                      Thanks Peter !!!! Now THAT I can understand ;)

                    • Torben Finn Laursen
                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 12, 2005
                        I have seen the new Birdy, and the idea with 20" wheels is okay, but
                        I think that R-M have made a big mistake about the comfort stem.
                        People buying this bike will be very sport orientered and therefor
                        need a more forwarded riding position. So try one more time R-M or
                        at least give people the oppotunity to chose between the two stems

                        Torben Finn Laursen
                        cykling.org

                        --- In birdybike@yahoogroups.com, "carsten_thies" <c.thies@t...>
                        wrote:

                        > Peter de Leuw, moderator of the german birdy-freunde yahoo list,
                        > published some interesting bits of information:
                        >
                        > 1995 the Birdy was launched. So this year is 10th Birdy
                        anniversary,
                        > May 20th - 22nd in Darmstadt. :o)
                        >
                        > From May 2005, there will be an anniversary model, the "fastest
                        Birdy
                        > ever". You can find details and a pic at
                        > http://www.birdy-freunde.de/news/index.html
                        >
                        > at the bottom of the article is a link to a large photograph:
                        > http://www.pdeleuw.de/bf/img/10-jahre-birdy.jpg (250.11 KB,256117
                        Byte)

                        > This special model is limited to 100 bikes. It is equipped with
                        > Shimano 105 components, sports a front derailleur and weighs in at
                        > only 9.9 kg. Price in Germany is Euro 1.899 (MTB bar) or Euro 1.999
                        > (drop bar with STI levers).
                        >
                        > \_|
                        > O°O Carsten
                      • Peter de Leuw
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 12, 2005
                          Hi Torben,

                          Torben Finn Laursen schrieb am 12.02.2005 10:51 Uhr:

                          > I have seen the new Birdy, and the idea with 20" wheels is okay, but
                          > I think that R-M have made a big mistake about the comfort stem.
                          > People buying this bike will be very sport orientered and therefor
                          > need a more forwarded riding position. So try one more time R-M or
                          > at least give people the oppotunity to chose between the two stems

                          I think the riding position is very "sporty". In opposite of the standard
                          handlebar the dropbar is not mounted on top of the stem, but a few
                          centimeters before.
                          Besides that, maybe you can order the anniversary Birdy as every other Birdy
                          with your preferred stem.

                          Peter

                          --
                          Peter de Leuw
                          Rellingen, Germany
                          http://www.birdy-freunde.de/
                          http://www.pdeleuw.de/fahrrad/birdy.html (deutsch)
                          http://www.pdeleuw.de/fahrrad/birdye.html (engl.)
                        • Ian Charles
                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 12, 2005
                            One of the great virtues of the Birdy compared with some other bikes,
                            especially from the large manufacturers, is the way in which some components
                            can be specified (eg: stem, mudguards, rack). I'm not especially interested
                            in this bike, but I could be and if I was, I certainly would not be sport
                            oriented. I think R&M should be congratulated for offering such a choice
                            bearing in mind the small size of their range.

                            Ian Charles
                            ian.charles@...