9786Re: [BirdYak] Apology for ruffled feathers

  • Scott Downes
    Jan 28, 2014
      I posted a message to Tweeters yesterday following a similar message there. Not every subscriber to BirdYak is also on Tweeters so I will repeat the point and leave this issue alone. This seems to stem from my posting earlier this month on Bird Yak about reporting guidelines to WA Birder in response to a post from Kevin. I was only trying to help people understand that if they had questions on list rules to email the Knittle's and not assume about guidelines. I never meant to imply anything regarding the ABA Code of Ethics which is only part of the ABA listing guidelines. In the future it seems I've learned it's best just to not reply to such items. Sorry for the mess this has caused.

      Scott Downes
      Yakima WA

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jan 28, 2014, at 8:15 AM, <vikingcove@...> wrote:

      I've been trying to gain permission for birders in Yakima County to access private, closed public & Yakama Nations lands. Numerous private landowners have welcomed me and thanked me for asking, and most of them have expressed dismay at those who haven't asked and have entered their property without permission.

      For those in the race to list big numbers of species on eBird and with Washington Birder, the ABA code of birding ethics

      https://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html

      imposes limits, prohibiting listing birds observed while trespassing. It says,

      "2. Respect the law, and the rights of others.
      2(a) Do not enter private property without the owner's explicit permission.
      2(b) Follow all laws, rules, and regulations governing use of roads and public areas, both at home and abroad.
      Everyone who enjoys birds and birding must always respect wildlife, its environment, and the rights of others. In any conflict of interest between birds and birders, the welfare of the birds and their environment comes first."

      I think those are reasonable limits. It also says,

      "2(c) Practice common courtesy in contacts with other people. Your exemplary behavior will generate goodwill with birders and non-birders alike.

      4(b) If you witness unethical birding behavior, assess the situation, and intervene if you think it prudent. When interceding, inform the person(s) of the inappropriate action, and attempt, within reason, to have it stopped. If the behavior continues, document it, and notify appropriate individuals or organizations."

      I'll continue to work at gaining access and at stopping trespassing, but in my efforts to intercede, I have ruffled feathers, especially of Scott, Andy & Denny. That doesn't jibe well with 2(c). That is not my intent, and I'm sorry for it.

      I hope we can someday gain explicit permission to legally access areas now closed, including parts of the Yakama Nation, Toppenish NWR Headquarters hunting blinds, Priest Rapids Dam, and the Yakima County shoreline of Priest Rapids Lake. If we all behave, I think there's a chance.

      Good birding,
      Kevin Lucas