I birded in the lower valley yesterday, running into Kevin Lucas and John Hebert several times during the day.
The highlight was a Rusty Blackbird (RUBL) in a large blackbird flock at the south end of Campbell Road just north of Marion Drain Rd. The RUBL appeared to be a female in faded plumage. The photo is in the new photos folder on my website, along with several others taken yesterday:
I am sorry I couldn't send this e-mail last night. Photos weren't processed and I didn't get confirmation from my "expert source" on the RUBLuntil just a few minutes ago.
Other notable birds were:
- Peregrine Falcon on the large water tower in Toppenish;
- Harlan's Red-tailed Hawk in the large willow tree along Hwy 97 at the northeast corner of the headquarters section of the Toppenish NWR;
- a very cooperative Rough-legged Hawk along Lateral C;
- 72 Tundra Swans on the NWR seen from the large willow tree;
- Two Yellow-headed Blackbirds in the large blackbird flock;
- 1500 ducks flying out of the cornfield across SR 97 from the willow tree.
It was a gloomy day with some good birding.