10138Clear Lake sightings (last week)

  • magicman32@rocketmail.com
    Jul 29 11:23 AM
      Hey all, It's been a great summer working at Clear Lake at Camp Dudley, and I've seen some pretty cool birds too! I thought I'd just give some highlights.-American Wigeon with ducklings (unusual breeders in the county?) -Several Northern Saw-whet Owls -Black-backed Woodpecker nest area -Huge numbers of California Gulls -Least Sandpiper -Williamson's Sapsucker -Barred Owl pair -Most Notable was what I am 95% was a Northern Waterthrush singing from a riparian area with standing/slow moving water and dense foliage, perfect habitat for one, very similar to habitat found in Okanogan County. Singing it's loud descending staccato song, much different than many Yellow Warblers in the immediate area. Worth searching for, if anyone is interested, shoot me an email and I'll help with directions. It was too far away for a recording and stopped singing when I got closer, morning would be the best bet for a chase.I've also noted that almost all of the Finches have already left (Evening Grosbeaks, Red Crossbills, Cassin's Finches, Pine Siskens) so look closely at your feeders for a finch.Thanks,Eric