Rusty patch on the heads of White Eyes

  • bindu kapadia
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2007
      Hello all,
      I had mentioned in my trip report to kakdaghar that Oriental White eyes develop rusty
      Patch on the head during breeding which I have never read or come across.Looking into Orientalbirds images I found only two photographs by Shri Arun Singh from Dehradoon
      Having orangish head.Same is true regarding Himalayan Bulbuls having rusty dab (comparitvely small) over the beak We saw it clearly when we came across a stunned Bulbul which was lying on the road after being hit by some vehical.
      The point is –I am requesting all the renowned bird photographers from Delhi,Kolkatta,Mumbai and Banglore
      -Nik Bikram,Rajneesh,Sumit,Sanjoy,Niranjan,Ritesh Vijay,Sudhir,Suresh Clement,Siva and all to capture the White eye in their breeding form-ie with rusty head for us to see and register.Thanks.
      Regards,
      Bindu

    • Gaurav Purohit
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2007
        Hi,

        We see White-eyes & Grey-breasted Prinias in summers in huge numbers in Sinhagad Valley near Pune which are attracted to this tree which flowers in summers known probably as Woodfordia. If you see these birds after feeding you will see the "fronts" of the birds turning red / rufous, so much so that i first mistook the Grey-breasted Prinia for Rufous-fronted Prinia and quickly realised that it was the pollen of the flowers sticking on their foreheads when these birds feed on these bright flowers. I probably have some photographs of these birds which i will try to send.

        Regards

        Gaurav Purohit