Morning at Karnala

  • parag damle
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 1, 2007
      Hi All

      Today morning after long time I visited at karnala, though count was not
      good but all the birds which we saw were in breeding mood. First at the
      start *red whiskered bulbul & Yellow throated sparrow* were busy in
      collecting nesting material. Just ahead of round circle behind the guest
      house we saw a pair of *Shama* also collecting nesting material. As we
      reached at Mortaka trail we saw *Changable hawk eagle's nest*. Though the
      nest was very high up, through my spotting scope we could clearly spot two
      chicks in the nest. Mean while one of the parant came with some pray in
      his/her paw and started feeding them. Those who want to see the chicks they
      can still have chance as chicks are too small to fly. while comming back *red
      throated flycatcher* sighted near guest house. orioles , racket tailed
      drongos, green pigeons, chloropsis were missing.

      Happy birding
      Parag

    • Dr Mangal Parihar
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 1, 2007
        hi,

        i have been a lurker on the list for a while.

        i notice a black drongo near my home in chembur, since the last one month or
        so.

        while the area where i live is fairly well endowed with trees, it is an
        urban area.....

        i have never seen a drongo here in the last 4 years (since i began paying
        attention to identifying birds).

        do these / can these birds migrate locally?

        mangal parihar

      • SHIRISH MHATRE
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
          Hi,
          I stay at Dahisar it's also an urban area and recently a black drongo started coming in the garden of our Society. There are Mangroves, less than a Km away from our society, which is proliferated with a no. of waders and forest birds.I have observed black drongo in other urban areas such as Dombivli, Kalyan and Vasai.

          Happy birding
          Shirish

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 2, 2007
            Hi Mangal

            You can see drongos in numbers at Aarey through out the year. Apparently, their preferred habitat are the fields and the proximity to cattles.

            Regards

            Ashish

            Dr Mangal Parihar <mangalparihar@...> wrote:
            hi,

            i have been a lurker on the list for a while.

            i notice a black drongo near my home in chembur, since the last one month or
            so.

            while the area where i live is fairly well endowed with trees, it is an
            urban area.....

            i have never seen a drongo here in the last 4 years (since i began paying
            attention to identifying birds).

            do these / can these birds migrate locally?

            mangal parihar

          • badruddin_ali
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 15, 2008
              Another delightful morning at Karnala. We* were there just before the
              sun was up & were greeted by the regular melody of sunbirds in the
              Peltophorum trees. They seem to be quite a constant feature there.
              Both the purple rumped sunbird (Nectarinia zeylonica) & Little sunbird
              (Nectarinia minima) were present.

              We heard the high-pitched call of a Crested Serpent eagle (Spilornis
              cheela).

              Walking towards the area of the area of the birdcages on a bare silk
              cotton tree were about 10-15 Pompadours Green Pigeons (Treron
              pompadora), a nos of males with the red wings were revealed as the sun
              came up. Walking back to take one of the side trails we saw a lone
              Yellow footed green pigeon (Treron phoenicoptera) basking in the sun.

              A few Small Minivets (Pericrocotus cinnamomeus) were seen feeding
              actively in the upper canopy of the trees. Tickell's flowerpeckers
              (Dicaeum erythrorhynchus) flitted about.

              A lot of activity from the Red Whiskered Bulbuls (Pycnonotus jocosus).
              We saw a monarch flycatcher (Hypothymis azurea) calling as it dived
              into the trees & then heard it calling a call we had recorded a few
              weeks earlier "Tchwee tchwee" loud, harsh & repeated in quick
              succession 4-6 times.

              We couple of times we heard the Shama singing in the bush an area
              where it has been sighted many times.

              We saw a few Greenish Leaf warblers (Phylloscopus trochiloides), they
              were much quieter now going about their business in a busy manner.
              A very noisy Blyths reed Warbler (Acrocephalus dumetorum) was moving
              through the bushes calling all the time. We came across quite a few of
              them during the course of the morning.

              Some Bronzed Drongo's (Dicrurus aeneus) were quite vocal too with
              their "Kwatrank Kwatrank".

              The day was warming up very quickly from a nice cool morning.
              Our attention was diverted by a low call from the bushes & then to
              some scratching at the ground level. A close look revealed an Orange
              bellied white-cheeked Thrush (Zoothera citrina cyonata) & a puff
              throated babbler (Pellorneeum ruficeps). The Thrush had an industrious
              manner of searching for insects whereby it would overturn each leaf
              with its beak & jab at any unfortunate critter. It also came out into
              the open a few feet from where I was standing .We then caught up with
              the thrush a few meters into the undergrowth doing a fluttering
              maneuver trying to get at some berries from a plant in fruit. The
              Babbler was a little more difficult to follow.

              A little further a group of Western crowned warblers were very excited
              with their "chickwee" calls.

              We walked into a dry riverbed lined by silk cotton trees (Bombax
              ceiba), both of the yellow & red flowering varieties. Here we came
              across many visitors on the open flowers. There were golden fronted
              Chloropsis (Chloropsis aurifrons) having a war with the Ashy bellied
              drongo's (Dicrurus leucophaeus) for rights to the flowers. A few
              Purple sunbirds (Nectarinia asiatica) came & immersed themselves into
              the large flowers. Black headed Orioles (Oriolus xanthornus), Orange
              Minivets (Pericrocotus flammeus) both male & female were seen. A
              Common wood shrike sat & viewed the world in its own inimitable
              style. Yellow-throated sparrows (Petronia xanthocollis)) sat on the
              bare branches calling.

              In a leafy tree were seen Large green Barbets (Megalaima zeylonica).

              We then walked towards the rest house along the riverbed & came across
              a Paradise flycatcher female (Terpsiphone paradisi). Then there were
              Iora's (Aegithina tiphia).

              The area around the rest house was relatively quiet. There were many
              picnickers. The troop of monkeys was up to they're usual fights
              ascertaining their dominance.

              One of them bit on a motorcycle seat.

              Near the gate we came across an Accipter sitting silently on a tree as
              we tried to confirm its identity it took off.

              We-Mohina Macker, Nitin Jamdar, Badruddin Ali