Re: [birdsofbombay] Losing our bio-diversity

  • Debi Goenka
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2001
      I think we need to pay serious attention to the problem of
      loss of bird bio-diversity.

      I remember raising this question at a BNHS meeting on
      vultures more than a year ago, and I have still to receive
      an educated response.

      I do not think it is only the vultures that are declining -
      I think most (if not all) birds are affected. One particular
      bird that I have noticed the absence of is the Dabchick - I
      have not seen a single dabchick around Mumbai for the past 2
      years.

      We need to look at the larger picture - loss of biodiversity
      accompanied by decrease in numbers.

      Which is why the bird count data of the 70s would be so
      useful now!!!

      Cheers

      Debi
      --