Re: Matheran Caw-ling

  • zedd_p
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2006
      Hi Terence,

      Interesting to note that there was a similar report posted by another
      member which generated some discussion but reached no conclusion and
      I quote (message 6586):

      Hi friends,
      I have a query about our common bird the crow. I know we have two
      types of crows in our city, the house crow and the large billed or
      jungle crow and its easy to distinguish between the two. What I want
      to know is whether the two species inter breed ? The reason for asking
      this question is because I have been sometimes seeing crows that are
      jet black like the jungle crow but have the slim strealined shape like
      the house crow. Any explanations ?
      Nikita

      ... perhaps there is more to it ??!

      ZP

      --- In birdsofbombay@yahoogroups.com, "terence de lima"
      <terencedelima@...> wrote:

      > It would appear that of Crows at Matheran there are three:
      >
      > The first is the Large-Billed Crow, *Corvus macrorhynchos
      intermedius*. This
      > is met with off and on. It has been there from the earliest
      records. Second,
      > there is the House Crow, *Corvus splendens*. The early records of
      the Hill
      > Station show that this, like the visitors, came up just for the
      seasons –
      > the seasons then being one before the rains and one after. For the
      monsoon
      > it went 'down.' However, after the new-fangled hotels came up and
      when the
      > human traffic picked up on The Hill, there's always that quantity
      of garbage
      > sufficient enough to sustain the House Crow year-round. So then,
      from merely
      > visiting, it has turned resident.
      >

      > Finally there is a crow(?) (it has a single *Caw*) about the shape
      and size
      > of the House Crow. However, it is slightly slimmer, and is overall
      > glossy-black. The bill is decidedly thin, tapered and black. It is
      > suspiciously like the Rook,* Corvus frugilegus* or the Carrion
      Crow,* Corvus
      > corone orientalis*. However, the field guides place the Rook and
      the Carrion
      > Crow much to the north. And then again, this is not at all the
      Malabar