A few observations near Amba Ghat (Kolhapur-Sangameshwar)

  • Ulhas Rane
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2006
      Dear Pakshimitra

      I travelled through one my favourite stretches in the Sahyadris on 28
      January 2006. This is the region of Amba Ghat between Kolhapur and
      Sangameshwar, the region famous because of two forts of historical
      importance - Panhala and Vishalgad. I had trekked in this region several
      times earlier, particularly the stretch from Panhala to Vishalgad through
      Masai Pathar and Pavankhind. Though it was a short / brisk visit, I relived
      several memories.

      This region is famous for a good density of Gour (Gava). People encounter
      them on the highway many times, particularly at night. I passed through
      this region early in the morning (between 7 am and 11 am) and was looking
      forward to get a glimpse of at least on Gour. And for sure I could see one
      huge male in the valley, though from a long distance. It was exciting.

      I also had some other interesting bird observations.

      Just outside Kolhapur after crossing Panchaganga river, I saw small flocks
      of Domissele Cranes in the fields. I have never seen these cranes south of
      Pune before and it will be interesting to know your experiences.

      Further ahead near the village Banbavade I saw a Pied Kingfisher being
      chased by a Jungle Crow. The kingfisher had a fish in her beak and was
      trying to save it. However the crow was very aggressive and chased the
      kingfisher so vigorously that she dropped the fish and escaped away. The
      crow picked up the fish and had a good feast! I enjoyed this observations
      as a chance encounter and decided to spend some more time along the stream.

      It was interesting to find that this stream supports three species of
      Kingfisher - Pied, Whitebreasted and Small Blue. And in quite a large
      number. In a matter of one hour I could count 34 birds in a stretch of
      about 3 km. Why such a high density in this region? Is it because of the
      stream? There is a sugar factory nearby. I am sure there must be some
      organic effluents entering the stream. Could that be a reason for a high
      density of fish and subsequently high density of Kingfishers? Worth
      investingating!

      I request the nature lovers from Kolhapur / Ratnagiri to investigate and
      send in their observatios.

      I request the others also to share their similar observations from any other
      regions.

      Best Wishes

      Ulhas

      Ulhas Rane