Airoli this morning

  • Ravi Vaidyanathan
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2005
      Myself and Parag went to dighe and airoli for birding this morning and
      there are hundreds of lesser flamingoes just near the airoli
      bridge..........couldnt stop pressing the shutter of my camera and
      took some awesome pics

      Anyone who wants to see these birds.........do drop in today asap or
      tomm morning......they arrive at airoli around 8.30ish and
      congegregate on both side of the bridge to feed

      Other birds sighted were

      Plain Prinia
      Ashy Prinia
      Collared Bushchat
      Drongo
      Kites (quite many)
      Terns & Gulls
      Sandpipers
      Blackwinged Stilts
      Quite many types of herons
      White cheeked bulbuls feedin on the flowers and fruits of the meswak
      Small Blue Kingfisher
      Cormorants
      A brown prinia like bird which is yet to be identified (will send a pic later)
      Lots of Citrine Wagtails
      A lone white wagtail
      Larks and yes........a lone skua.....was suprised to see it gliding around

      Regards

      Ravi

      Regards

      Ravi
    • Kanwar B Singh
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2006
        "Larks and yes........a lone skua.....was suprised to
        see it gliding around"

        Ravi could you please post some details of the skua.
        It is quite unusual to see a Skua around Bombay, and
        even then being pelagic they are more likely to be out
        in the sea. But birds being what they are, it could
        turn up anywhere. In fact, there's record of a Skua in
        Ladakh. I have seen one off Gateway of India in the
        monsoons last year but I don't think its been reported
        by anyone on this group.
        Best wishes and a very happy new year to everyone on
        this group.
        KB

        --- Ravi Vaidyanathan <ravi.vaidyanathan@...>

        __________________________________
      • Sunetro Ghosal
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2006
          The record for Ladakh if I am not mistaken was for an Arctic Skua at Tsomoriri. I don't have my copy with me right now but I think it is mentioned by Otto Pfister in his book. 'Birds and Mammals of Ladakh'.

          Kanwar B Singh <kb_singh@...> wrote: "Larks and yes........a lone skua.....was suprised to

          __________________________________

          To modify mail delivery options, please send a blank email to:

          Individual Mails: birdsofbombay-Normal@yahoogroups.com
          Daily digest: birdsofbombay-Digest@yahoogroups.com
          No mail (check on website): birdsofbombay-Nomail@yahoogroups.com

          Birding Wild bird Outdoors Alaska outdoors Birding binoculars Birding tour

          ---------------------------------

        • Sunjoy Monga
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 1, 2006
            Hi there,

            Skuas aren't strictly pelagic. They have also been
            reported on off-shore waters and on coastal tracts
            (during migration). I haven't yet been lucky enough
            ... but these notes compiled by Anand Prasad on the
            two species' occurence in the Mumbai waters might be
            of interest. They refer to the sightings of these two
            species in the region.

            Cheers -- Sunjoy Monga

            [447 Pomarine Jaeger (Skua) Stercorarius pomarinus
            Ten miles off Bombay (1 chasing terns on 18/10/62,
            NC), Bourne, W.R.P. 1965; “Two adults sighted, Bombay
            (Sinclair, J.C., 1977),” Ali, S. & Ripley, S. D. 1983;
            Bombay Colaba Point, “2 adults seen pursuing an
            immature Herring Gull,” with several days observing
            between 26-28/10/74 and 17-20/10/74, Sinclair, J.C.
            1977; Bombay and neighbouring area, uncommon (flocks),
            migrant, Abdulali, H. 1981a.]

            [448 Parasitic Jaeger (Skua) Stercorarius parasiticus
            Near Bombay “Five example sighted (Sinclair, J.C.
            1976),” Ali, S. & Ripley, S. D. 1983; Bombay Colaba
            Point, “Sighted almost daily and may have involved
            five individuals,” on several days observing between
            26-28/10/74 and 17-20/10/74, Sinclair, J.C. 1977;
            Bombay Elephanta, (1 in January 1996), Wanders, I.
            1996; Bombay and neighbouring area, uncommon, migrant,
            Abdulali, H. 1981a; Bombay, isolated record, Grimmett,
            R., Inskipp, T., Inskipp, C. 1998.]

            __________________________________

            birdsofbombay@yahoogroups.com

            To modify mail delivery options, please send a blank
            email to:

            Individual Mails: birdsofbombay-Normal@yahoogroups.com
            Daily digest: birdsofbombay-Digest@yahoogroups.com
            No mail (check on website):
            birdsofbombay-Nomail@yahoogroups.com

            Group website:

            Terms of Service.

            ---------------------------------

            Subscribe to mumbainaturalists and discover a whole new world of excitement, a platform for sharing thoughts and experiences concerning our natural world. Just send an email to mumbainaturalists-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

          • Kanwar B Singh
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 1, 2006
              Hi
              My record of Parasitic Jaeger is on 14 Jul 2004. I saw
              the bird as it flew over the ferry in the middle of
              the channel, near the Midle Ground Island. I have also
              described this record in my Note on 'uncommon seashore
              and pelagic records from around Mumbai'; which has
              been published in the recent issue of the "Indian
              Birds".
              Best wishes
              KB

              --- Sunjoy Monga <mumbaibirdwalla@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > No mail (check on website):
              > > birdsofbombay-Nomail@yahoogroups.com
              > >
              > > Group website:
              > >
              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              > __________________________________
              > http://brand.yahoo.com/cybergivingweek2005/

              > birdsofbombay@yahoogroups.com
              >
              > To modify mail delivery options, please send a blank
              > email to:
              >
              > Individual Mails:
              > birdsofbombay-Normal@yahoogroups.com
              > Daily digest: birdsofbombay-Digest@yahoogroups.com
              > No mail (check on website):
              > birdsofbombay-Nomail@yahoogroups.com
              >
              > Group website:

              > Yahoo!
              > Terms of Service.
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              >

              > Subscribe to mumbainaturalists and discover a whole
              > new world of excitement, a platform for sharing
              > thoughts and experiences concerning our natural

              === message truncated ===

              __________________________________
            • Adesh Shivkar
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 1, 2006
                Hi Ravi,

                Check out the Juveniles / Immatures of Large gulls (Yellow-Legged,
                Heuglin's...et..al.). They look similar to the Skuas from a
                distance........particularly, if you havent seen them (Skua's ) before.

                Cheers!!
                Adesh

                > > --- Ravi Vaidyanathan <ravi.vaidyanathan@...>
                > > wrote:
                > >
                > > > Myself and Parag went to dighe and airoli for
                > > > birding this morning and
                > > > Larks and yes........a lone skua.....was suprised
                > > > see it gliding around

              • Mangal Parihar
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 1, 2006
                  Ravi,

                  Didn't you have any problems with the camera on the bridge (from
                  cops/security)?

                  In the past I have been stopped by cops on the old Thane Creek Bridge, from
                  taking pictures of birds from the bridge - pointing to an old sign that says
                  photography is prohibited.

                  Mangal Parihar

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
                    Dear Mangal

                    There is no such sign in the Airoli bridge and photography is not prohibited
                    anywhere on the bridge...hv been taking photographs so many times and
                    showing them to the interested cops too.....hahahha..they are also quite
                    inquisitive abt the bird life

                    Some pics that i hv taken recently are im my link below......see the ones of
                    flamingoes..

                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/naturetrails/

                    Regards

                    Ravi