Let's be careful re locating nests

  • Sunjoy Monga
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
      Hi there,

      while all this birding enthusiasm is terrific ... and
      needs as much encouragement as possible, however, it
      would be prudent to NOT try locate as many nests as
      possible especially when there are groups of
      birdwatchers together, and especially in such open
      grass and scrub sites.

      The simple reason for this is that I've found 75% of
      bird nests spotted in such habitats by us humans tend
      to loose out in the survival game, in that, the eggs
      or the chicks in these nests do not get to see the
      light of freedom.

      This is simply because, and this may sound naive but
      isn't really so -- simply because when some of us are
      checking out a spot and frantically trying to hunt out
      nests, we do not realise it but invariably a crow or
      two and more have spotted the scene of activity and
      try to explore the site.

      Also, our checking out such sites invariably tends to
      attract some or the other catapult or no-catapult
      wielding kids roaming around and of which there is no
      dearth in the Mumbai environs, in fact everywhere. And
      before we know it, the nest or its contents are gone.

      Almost always, every bird-enthusiast around wants to
      check the content of the nests, the eggs, their
      colours, how many are there, the chicks ..... Then
      there's always the next trip and the next, with more
      friends wanting to see and more wanting to show

      I think these comments would be especially true and
      pertinent for the heavily built-up and crowded Mumbai
      region with immense pressures on the few surviving
      patches of green, grass and scrub in any case
      omnipresent. Let's not add any more by our scouting
      around for locating more nests ....... and more ....

      Cheers -- Sunjoy Monga

      --- Adesh Shivkar <adeshshivkar@...> wrote:

      > Dear All,

      Subscribe to mumbainaturalists and discover a whole new world of excitement, a platform for sharing thoughts and experiences concerning our natural world. Just send an email to mumbainaturalists-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your partner online. Go to http://yahoo.shaadi.com
    • Adesh Shivkar
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2005
        Hi All,

        Yes what Sunjoy has pointed out is very true and a very important point.......Though we did'nt venture close to any of the nest / took precautions, Since one can easily make out from a distance (we had a S.scope) that there is a munia nest or prinia nest, moreover, as I had mentioned, there were probably more hidden in the grass.....And this has always been our way (not to disturb) ever since I had bitter experiences ref:Crows/kids in my early birding days.

        But I think, even while writing such reports, care can be taken ("I" will) not to give much importance or highlight on nests....So as to attract the curosity of a novice birder.

        Thanks Sunjoy...:)

        Warm Regards,
        Adesh

        BTW: I am forwarding this mail to all the groups that had recieved my original mail titled "Prinia Mania & The uncommon Common babbler"