Amazing Uran

  • sahil latheef
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2004
      Fellow birders,

      After all those inspiring mails from Aadesh of his birding in Uran I
      finally got to go there yesterday along with Pragya; and believe me it
      was much more than I would have ever expected.

      To our good luck on route to Uran we ran into a few fellow BNHS
      members (Sanjay, Amit) and with some guidance from 'Addi the Birde' we
      landed up and the best spots to catch all the action.

      Below is a list of birds we sighted yesterday, compiled by Pragya and myself.
      (This being my first list of sightings on the e-group was quiet a task
      to put together; but well worth the effort).

      1 Rosy or White Pelican (Most likely the same straggler that Aadesh
      reported last week)
      2 Little Cormorant
      3 Grey Heron
      4 Purple Heron
      5 Pond Heron
      6 Great Egret
      7 Little Egret
      8 Painted Stork (1 no.)
      9 Asian Openbill Stork
      10 White Ibis (3 no.)
      11 Glossy Ibis
      12 Eurasian White Spoonbill (2 nos. flew overhead)
      13 Flamingo
      14 Lesser Whistling Duck
      15 Spotbill Duck (1 no.)
      16 Brahminy Kite
      17 Marsh Harrier
      18 Indian Purple Swamphen
      19 Common Coot
      20 Red-wattled Lapwing
      21 Black tailed Godwit
      22 Common Redshank
      23 Green Bee-Eater
      24 Little Brown Dove
      25 Pied Kingfisher
      26 White-Throated Kingfisher
      27 Common Kingfisher
      28 Indian Roller
      29 Black Winged Stilt
      30 Black-headed Gull
      31 Caspian Tern (1 no.)
      32 Little Tern
      33 Cattle Egret
      34 Long Tailed Shrike
      35 House Crow
      36 Jungle Crow
      37 Black Drongo
      38 Common Mynah
      39 Barn Swallow
      40 Wire Tailed Swallow
      41 Red-Vented Bulbul
      42 House Sparrow
      43 Grey Wagtail
      44 Red Avadavat
      45 Marsh Sandpiper
      46 Lesser Sand Plover
      47 Greater Racket-Tailed Drongo
      48 Intermediate Egret
      49 Oriental skylark

      I even managed a few decent snaps. Anyways, I guess thats it for this time.

      Happy Birding

      Regards
      Sahil
    • ABDUL MATIN
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2004
        Fellow birders,

        There is a lot of sighting of Black wagtails in
        pairs mostly around 6.30 -7.00 am near my
        house(close to Aaarey Colony Andheri East
        entrance).Usually very playful and chirpy and
        above all restless hardly sitting in one place
        for not more than a few seconds .Also sigheted white
        breasted kingfisher with its shrill ...and possibly
        a few leafbird(??)at times ..
        happy birding ..

        Matin.

[...]

        know more about the "birdsofbombay" and to see links
        to other bird sites, calendar,Database etc.

        To join Bombay Natural History Society visit
        http://www.bnhs.org
        and to join World Wildlife Fund-India visit
        http://www.wwfindia.org

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

        Terms of Service.