White Eared Bulbul

  • Dr. Vaibhav
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2004
      Dear Friends

      Hi!

      We visited Rewas port today morning, while going to actual port we saw about
      15-20 flocks of birds going form east to west. Each flock was about 20 birds
      flying very fast, few birds had whitish head; all had rufous belly & grey
      colored upper portion. From its appearance it could have been
      Chestnut-Tailed Starling. Little further we saw a pair sitting on a top of
      tree and confirmed it as the same. We saw about 200+ birds in all, what's
      nagging us is

      * Is this a migration going on?

      * Or they were roosting on one site and going to another for feeding?

      * How common is it in Mumbai Region?

      * Has any one seen this?

      Near Rewas port we saw plenty of White Eared Bulbuls in mangroves. Pair of
      Spot Billed Duck and many Lesser Whistling Ducks were also seen.

      White Eared Bulbuls are seen only in Rewas Port area near Alibag, how much
      common is it in Mumbai?

      I have a photo of Nest of Scaly Breasted Munia, which we saw yesterday, it
      was a large globular structure much larger for Munia size with lateral
      entrance. Both male & female were building it. Anyone interested please let
      me I will send the photo.

      Yesterday Mr. Pravin saw a Black Hooded Oriole near Alibag; we heard a call
      of Eurasian Golden Oriole near Rewas. It seems Orioles are here for winter.

      Near Rewas we saw many waders.

      While coming back we saw a pair of Grey Bellied Cuckoo they were very vocal.

      Bye.

      Dr. Vaibhav Deshmukh

      Alibag

      Phone No. +91(2141)222150

      Mobile 9822190150

    • celine suresh
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 2, 2004
        Dear Dr. Vaibhav,

        These bulbuls are very common in the Godrej Vikhroli mangroves. They are
        also seen in the mangroves of Navi Mumbai especially Vashi. Quite common
        in some of the areas like Sector 7, & 8
        and in the mangroves around Vashi station.

        Regards,

        Celine

        NRIs !
        http://creative.mediaturf.net/creatives/icicibank/june/icicinri_tol_tl.htm
        Free online bill payments in India.
      • nitinjamdar
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2004
          Hello,

          White-eared bulbuls are not uncommon in the creek mangroves marshes
          in the western suburbs ,especially at Bangur Nagar, Goregaon.

          best wishes,

          Nitin Jamdar
          --- In birdsofbombay@yahoogroups.com, "Dr. Vaibhav" <vaibhav10@s...>