Caring for Sick Birds

  • drvaibhav@vsnl.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2004
      Hi!
      Today morning I visited Varsoli beach near Alibag. The beach is now in news because some miscreants with help of
      Forest department guards have cut about 150 casuarinas trees. Their usual method is simple but horrifying they remove the outer skin of tree about 2 feet wide from bark leaving it exposed. The poor tree dies slowly. But this time it was gross tree slaughter.
      Varsoli beach is famous for its casuarinas tree plantation. As the news came in local paper all the hell broke loose the forest dept. said this area does not came in their jurisdiction actually it came wrong. So all the trees, in F I R shown to have been fallen due to storm. The matter is still under investigation. From birding point of view this plantation supports many birds. Even if forest department start new plantation it will take few years for recovery.
      Anyway I have a suggestion, any member in this E group who is a vet or has worked in rescue of wounded bird can arrange a workshop about first aid of sick birds, their transportation, feeding of a sick bird, cleaning of wound ect.
      Can it be arranged?
      Bye

      Dr. Vaibhav Deshmukh
      Alibag