http://www.delhibird.org/ - February 2004

  • Nikhil Devasar
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2004
      Many of you would be aware of the most interesting debate that followed the discovery of a breeding pair of aquila eagles in TG Halli near Bangalore. Initially thought to be the recently split Indian Spotted Eagle (Aquila hastata), a careful scrutiny of the photographs have proved that they were in fact Tawny Eagles (Aquila rapax). This prompted delhibird to declare the Tawny Eagle as our bird of the month, and show the photographs taken by our fellow birders in Bangalore. Our thanks to all of them and to Mike Prince for putting it all together.

      I would also like to invite other interested writers to contribute articles for this section. We will help both editorially and in designing the page, besides locating the appropriate photographs. Those who want to give it a go, please come back to me with your ideas.

      Our mystery bird section attracted 47 number of entries of which 19 got it right. The commonest error was Black-capped Kingfisher (5) followed by Common Stonechat (4) and singles for Blyth's Kingfisher, Small Minivet, Hodgson's Bushchat, Collared Kingfisher and Black-thighed Falconet.

      It is of course a Collared Falconet photographed by Mike Prince in Corbett NP.

      The winner, selected with a pin, was Aurani Mookerjee who should contact me about collecting the prize.

      Our quest for checklists continues unabated. This month we have put up lists of all our neighboring countries plus several others.

      Lastly our annual dinner was a great success, with over 70 people attending. Delhibird would like to thanks those who contributed food, equipment and prizes.

      Happy birding

      Nik

      Nikhil Devasar
      nik@...