Re: [birdsofbombay] PHOTOS OF PERIYAR WILDLIFE WANTED FOR HORNBILL Magazine

  • Geetanjali Dhar
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2003
      Dear Mr.Isaac,

      Can you mail Vibhuti's email address? Is it okay if we scan the pics and send it ?

      Regards,

      Geetanjali Dhar
      http://www.itnatureclub.com

      isaac <isaack@...> wrote:
      Dear Friends,
      Please write to Vibhuti at the BNHS if you have photos from Periyar National Park.
      These photos are required for the Hornbill magazine.
      Thanks
      Isaac

      To join Bombay Natural History Society visit http://www.bnhs.org
      and to join World Wildlife Fund-India visit http://www.wwfindia.org

      Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      To join Bombay Natural History Society visit http://www.bnhs.org
      and to join World Wildlife Fund-India visit http://www.wwfindia.org

    • isaac
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2003
        Dear Geetanjali,

        You may write to Vibhuti at : bnhs@... for sending photos of Periyar for consideration for publishing in the Bombay Natural History Society's Hornbill magazine.

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2003
          Hi everyone

          I am a graduation student in a science college. I wish to present a seminar on bird migration in the coming month.

          In the seminar I wish to include various theories put forward for the reason of migration of birds.

          I have tried to gather some information from a few sources and this is what I have gathered. Can anyone please read through the data that I have gathered and suggest corrections or theories to be added in the list below? ( I have to present migration of birds with respect to those coming to the Indian continent.)

          Winters in Europe, North Asia and Russia are very severe and there is shortage of food in these areas where birds stay in winter, hence they move towards the south where winters are not too severe and can get adequate amount of food.
          Some naturalists suggest that millions of years ago when the continents were a single mass called and ‘Pangia ‘, the birds used to nest in the south of the equator and reside in the northern region. The birds in the present day follow the same southern areas for their nesting and this is why they come down south at the same areas where their ancestors breed.

          I would also like to include the means of navigation adapted by the birds. I have been able to gather the following information regarding their navigational skills. I request the members of the group to verify and correct these theories as well

          Birds are sensitive to the magnetic effect of the poles and navigate by this sensation
          The birds use stars as their guide
          They look for the directions using the position of sun.

          Many birds which were caged as an experiment during the migration season, the birds were seen to get restless and pointed at the direction of their migration that is south.

          Looking forward for help from the members.

          Thanking you,

          Jay K. Shah

          Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your partner online.Post your profile.

        • Geetanjali Dhar
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 4, 2003
            Dear Mr.Isaac,

            Thanks we will mail Vibhuti for the same.

            Regards,

            Geetanjali Dhar
            http://www.itnatureclub.com

            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 9, 2003
              Hi,

              Check the following and the attachment bird migration2 seems more informative than the other:

              http://www.birds.org.il/show_item.asp?levelId=457

              http://members.tripod.com/~SirOrfeo/idtraining/oem.htm

              http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/Environment/birds.html

              http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/jun99/928783781.Zo.r.html