Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [birdsofbombay] Re: Crow menace

Expand Messages
  • Paritosh Khanvilkar
    S.A.Hussain wrote: Never ever think of getting rid of crow population by shooting them or killing them otherwise. You will end up
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
    • 0 Attachment
      "S.A.Hussain" <sahbird@...> wrote:
      "Never ever think of getting rid of crow population by
      shooting them or killing them otherwise. You will end
      up creating niche for the population to double
      itself."

      Can you please elaborate on the above.......


      Regards
      Paritosh



      ________________________________________________________________________
      Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your partner online.
      Go to http://yahoo.shaadi.com
    • Paritosh Khanvilkar
      Your argument is totally correct. But then what is the solution to the recurring problem of migrants being culled by the crows. Besides, I am sure, the rate
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
      • 0 Attachment
        Your argument is totally correct. But then what is the
        solution to the recurring problem of migrants being
        "culled" by the crows.

        Besides, I am sure, the rate at which environmental
        destruction is taking place, the human race will
        surely & certainly cull itself (alongwith several
        other species) without any need for the bullet.


        Regards
        Paritosh

        "Anish P. Andheria" <a.anish@...> wrote:

        If culling is the most practical way of controlling
        over-populated species, the first bullet should be
        fired at us. Isn't it!

        ________________________________________________________________________
        Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your partner online.
        Go to http://yahoo.shaadi.com
      • S.A.Hussain
        Never ever think of getting rid of crow population by shooting them or killing them otherwise. You will end up creating niche for the population to double
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2003
        • 0 Attachment
          Never ever think of getting rid of crow population by shooting them or
          killing them otherwise. You will end up creating niche for the population to
          double itself.

          Only effective way of bringing down the population is when they are building
          nests to breed. Their nests are quite visible in most urban and rural areas
          and these can easily be destroyed just as the birds are ready to lay eggs.
          If a group of volunteers keep at it, a considerable number of nests can be
          rendered ineffective in a given breeding period.

          S A Hussain

          S A Hussain
          Hussain Manzil
          Nr. Anekere Mosque
          Karkala - 574 104.
          Coastal Karnataka. India

          E-mail: sahbird@...
          Tel: 91-(0)8258-734748
          Mobile: 9448171689
          ----- Original Message -----
          From: "Nitin Jamdar" <nitinjamdar@...>
          To: <birdsofbombay@yahoogroups.com>
          Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 10:11 PM
          Subject: [birdsofbombay] Re: Crow menace


          > Hello All,
          >
          > The issue of crows cannot be looked at by focusing on crows alone. If look
          > at the other end of spectrum, we will find that local extinction of
          smaller
          > birds taking place at an alarming rate in the city. One of the reasons is
          > increase in predators, mainly crows. The rise in population of crows in
          > largely due to human actions. It is true that unlike remote and island
          areas
          > crows are not introduced as such in the city and they are also residents.
          > But city dwellers have created a situation by which predators like crows
          > have increased and have improved it's capabilities ,by which the smaller
          > species which was already vulnerable have been pushed to the brink.
          >
          > By our actions we increase the predator population and then we sit back
          and
          > reason that such predation is part of survival game. Unfortunately it is
          > not. In fact we are killing off smaller species through crows. Blood of
          > smaller species is on 'our' hands . It's time to rein in our 'gangsters'!
          Or
          > at least think about controlling them.
          >
          > However culling seems to be difficult option. Apart from the objections
          > through emotive reactions and religious sentiment, there are other reasons
          > why culling crows may not work. Crows are smart and keen observers, they
          are
          > quick to perceive the intentions of other creatures towards them, and that
          > includes would-be shooters. It is difficult to outwit these intelligent
          > birds. The shooters will be able to kill the stupider birds and leaving
          > behind more cunning and suspicious birds to proliferate.
          >
          > Best wishes,
          >
          >
          > Nitin Jamdar
          >
          > _________________________________________________________________
          > The new MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 2 months FREE*
          > http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail
          >
          >
          >
          > visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/birdsofbombay to know more about the
          "birdsofbombay" and to see links to other bird sites, calendar,Database etc.
          >
          > To join Bombay Natural History Society visit http://www.bnhs.org
          > and to join World Wildlife Fund-India visit http://www.wwfindia.org
          >
          > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          >
          >
        • Ramana Athreya
          ... The following result from studies of cats (pumas?) may be of relevance to crows as well : When an individual is removed from its territory at least two
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 5, 2003
          • 0 Attachment
            On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Paritosh Khanvilkar wrote:

            > "S.A.Hussain" <sahbird@...> wrote:
            > "Never ever think of getting rid of crow population by
            > shooting them or killing them otherwise. You will end
            > up creating niche for the population to double
            > itself."
            >
            > Can you please elaborate on the above.......

            The following result from studies of cats (pumas?) may be of relevance to
            crows as well :
            When an individual is removed from its territory at least two others move
            into the vacant position within a matter of days. Apparently there is a
            huge floating population (with very high mortality) of sub- or young
            adults living in the marginal areas of these territories, evading the
            owner.

            For the same reason neutering a population of domestic cats is considered
            a better strategy than culling them.

            Ramana Athreya
            rathreya @ ncra.tifr.res.in
            Giant Metre-wave Radio Telescope (GMRT)
            Narayangaon, Dist Pune.
          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.