Re: Standardized names of the birds of the Indian subcontinent.

  • S.A.Hussain
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2002
      At 09:18 PM 24/01/2002 +0530, J.C.Daniel wrote:
      >S.A. HUSSAIN AND OTHER FRIENDS
      >
      >I read with considerable interest, the discussion on the standardized
      >common and scientific names of the birds of the Indian subcontinent
      >published by the BNHS ­ ENVIS.

      Response & comments form someone from BNHS is welcome and is necessary.

      Apart from all that has been said in this string about this subject, one
      would now expect some response from OBC itself.

      Some of us would particularly like to put forward the following queries :

      1. Before preparing the new list for "Oriental" region, were there any
      attempts at any time by the OBC to get into consultation with leading
      institutions like BNHS and/or Zoological Survey of India or even Newsletter
      for Birdwatchers in India and other recognised NGO's in the oriental region
      ( Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Nepal, Pakistan, Thailand,
      Vietnam, Korea or even Japan ?

      Was there any open dialogue between these "Oriental" entities and the OBC ?

      2. Did not the "OBC" consider it necessary to get the concurrence of the
      serious ornithologists/institutions, amateur birders as well as those who
      matter in the "Orient" before changing the their local bird names ?

      3. Since the list was for "oriental" region, was it not appropriate that
      their views be given due weightage before the list was finalised ?

      If the perpetuators of OBC did at sometime consult with true
      orientals, can they now explain now what exactly was the nature of these
      consultations ?

      As Mr. Daniel says : "Adhuc sub iudice lis est. The debate still continues.
      Should it? "......

      Yes, we think it should.

      Can hear some more voices on this please ?

      Cheers

      S A Hussain

      Mr. S A Hussain
      "Hussain Manzil"