Brown Shrike, Yellow Wagtails and a Mystery Bird

  • sschoksi@vsnl.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2001
      Hi Friends,
      Our winter guests are here.
      Among other residents we sighted
      1) Brown Shrike at Aarey Colony near New Zealand Hostel. Also a Long Tailed Shrike was sighted immediately which helped to clearly differentiate between the two.

      2)Yellow Wagtails (3) sighted at Bangur Nagar Creek at Goregaon.

      3) Could somebody help in identifying the following mystery bird
      All through winter last year it was seen in our residential complex (which consists of landscaped gardens and 10-12 feet high palm trees, an adjoining vacant plot is full of shrubs and bushes).The bird was seen today after a gap of 9 months.

      Size ; Between Bulbul and Myna
      Color : Entirely slaty gray with darkish black tone to the wings, no other colors seen on it, black eyes

      In fact the bird looks like a crow in all ways except that it is much smaller and does not caw at all. In fact in the numerous sightings we never heard it call
      It does not match with any picture in Salim Ali or Grimmet- closest match is Gray Drongo except that the head is more flat and the tail is not forked and the eyes are not red.

      Regards
      Tej, Sujaan, Dr Salil Choksi

    • Leon Pereira
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2001
        just a guess
        what about grey hypocolus?
        leon

        At 09:30 02-10-01 +0530, you wrote:
        >Hi Friends,
        >3) Could somebody help in identifying the following mystery bird
        >All through winter last year it was seen in our residential complex (which
        >consists of landscaped gardens and 10-12 feet high palm trees, an adjoining
        >vacant plot is full of shrubs and bushes).The bird was seen today after a
        >gap of 9 months.
        >
        >Size ; Between Bulbul and Myna
        >Color : Entirely slaty gray with darkish black tone to the wings, no other
        >colors seen on it, black eyes
        >
        >In fact the bird looks like a crow in all ways except that it is much
        >smaller and does not caw at all. In fact in the numerous sightings we never
        >heard it call
        >It does not match with any picture in Salim Ali or Grimmet- closest match is
        >Gray Drongo except that the head is more flat and the tail is not forked and
        >the eyes are not red.
        >
        >Regards
        >Tej, Sujaan, Dr Salil Choksi

        >"birdsofbombay" and to see links to other bird sites, calendar,Database etc.
        >
        >To join Bombay Natural History Society visit http://www.bnhs.org

      • vithal nadkarni
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 22, 2004
          Dear Darshana

          Have you ever seen a Neelkanth or the Indian Roller? The blue wings etc
          reminded me of that. As for the blue rock thrush, it has a habit of dipping
          frequently, which involves putting its head down and the tail up in the sky.
          Have you observed this trait? The white in the neck, bluish grey back (but
          has mushstachial strips) is also found in a race of the orange headed ground
          thrush; which as the name suggests is a cheerful singer.
          VCN