Work opportunity for a good birder in the Himalayas

  • Kiran Srivastava
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2013

      FOR INFORMATION.

      Cheers,

      Kiran Srivastava

      From: Sahas Barve <sahasbarve@...>

      Date: Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 12:58 AM

      Subject: Research Technician Post for work in Kedarnath (Jan-May 2013)

      To: YETI <meet.yeti@...>

      Hi

      I am Sahas Barve, a PhD candidate in the Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology at Cornell University and a Research Affiliate with the Wildlife Institute of India . My research aims to understand the determinants of elevational distribution of bird species in the Kedarnath region of the western Himalayas. Specifically I plan to look at interspecific competition in 4 species of tits and hematological adaptations to hypoxia in 14 species of Himalayan birds along an elevational gradient from 1000m-4000m.

      The Post: I am planning to hire 1 technician to help me with the fieldwork.

      Duration: January-May 2014 (atleast Jan-March(Winter) or March-May(summer)

      Location: Mandal-Chopta-Ansuya area of Kedarnath Wildlife Division, Uttarakhand India.

      Qualifications: Above everything else, I am looking to hire a GOOD birder. For the purpose of my research a good birder is a person who can ID bird species based on their calls and songs and other vocalizations in addition to visual ID. I dont expect to find someone who is well versed with west Himalayan species, but I am looking for someone who CAN assimilate calls relatively soon. I am very serious about hiring ONLY someone with a high skill level for aural ID of birds as it is critical for the job. (There are NO educational requirements).

      Job description: The technician will be expected to go to field independently (with a local assistant) and make exhaustive recordings of bird calls and songs. He/she will be expected to carry out song-playback experiments, which involve detailed behavioral observation of bird responses to conspecific and heterospecific song.

      He/she will have to alternatively make detailed observations of foraging niches of target species recording variables like foraging method, horizontal and vertical location in tree etc. He/she will also assist me in checking nest-boxes, mist netting at various elevations.

      The mist-netting involves a lot of people so I am interested in someone who does well working independently as well as in a team.

      Salary: I am happy to pay a JRF salary in addition to the food, lodging and transportation (ex Dehradun) that I'll cover.

      Please send me an email if you are interested. If possible include a CV and tell me why you would like to work with me,

      Thanks and I look forward t hearing from you.

      Best Regards

      Sahas Barve

      Phone: +1 650 669 0350

      http://sahasbarve.weebly.com