Re: [birdsofbombay] Have any one seen Hooted Eagle?

  • prajakta savarkar shinde
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 28, 2011
      This was anyway not the 1st time that a bird naming error was made fun of on
      this forum, and it doesn't seem to have been written with any uncalled for
      malice. Sympathising with reporters is fine, but subjecting a fellow birder
      to personal attack doesn't seem right...

      --
      Cheers,
      Prajakta.

    • Saurabh Sawant
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2011
        Speaking STRICTLY of humour.. :D

        Enjoy the
        white crump vulture
        step eagle
        and sali mali sparrow which most likely is only a typo.

        http://epaper.hindustantimes.com/PUBLICATIONS/HT/HM/2011/02/28/ArticleHtmls/Mumbai-attends-to-the-bird-call-28022011002007.shtml?Mode=1

        But it is appreciated that they got the Brown-cheeked Fulvetta right.

        Regards,
        Saurabh

        On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 1:11 PM, prajakta savarkar shinde <plum2412@...
        > wrote:

        > This was anyway not the 1st time that a bird naming error was made fun of
        > on
        > this forum, and it doesn't seem to have been written with any uncalled for
        > malice. Sympathising with reporters is fine, but subjecting a fellow birder
        > to personal attack doesn't seem right...
        >
        > On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 12:09 PM, kiran srivastava
        > <srivastava.jo@...>wrote:
        >

        > > Hooted Eagle is funny and let's keep laughing till everyone gets it
        > right.
        > > This is a birders forum and gives us unrestrained opportunity to enjoy
        > > bird-naming errors. Meanwhile, those who take umbrage can always call the
        > > unfortunate victim of such bungling (even inadvertant) and sympathise.
        > >
        > > Cheers from a Blitz Wobbler,
        > > Kiran Srivastava
        > >
        > > On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 2:55 PM, Ravi Vaidyanathan
        > > <ravivaidya@...>wrote:
        > >

        > > > Dear Doc
        > > >
        > > > It is a very well known fact that there are major goofups in the names
        > as
        > > > well as sometimes the entire species of birds in reports by the
        > > newspapers.
        > > > This is to be taken in the right spirit and laughed off and not made a
        > > > point
        > > > of ridicule which I feel was a bit too harsh on them
        > > >
        > > > Doc, if you notice carefully, the article was very well presented but
        > for
        > > > this silly mistake which definitely does not deserve such a harsh
        > > ridicule,
        > > > that too from a birder of your stature and respect.
        > > >
        > > > "Non birder" reporters are doing great service to our cause and
        > sometimes
        > > > they may not have the time or opportunity to check re some
        > technicalities
        > > > with some experts, however such ridicule that is itself full of typos,
        > is
        > > > uncalled for
        > > >
        > > > Regards
        > > >
        > > > Ravi

        Regards,
        Saurabh Sawant
        _
        "The foot feels the foot when it feels the ground."

        http://www.facebook.com/saurabh.sawant

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/saurabhsawant1/