saw a Pied Cuckoo ...

  • Sunjoy Monga
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1, 2009
      Hi there,

      Out towards the Sheikh Quarry and adjoining stretch along Dahisar, on the
      western fringes of the Nat Park earlier today.

      Added to the cuckoo tally of the last two days, when, at first the familiar
      calls came closer and closer and then a lone Pied Cuckoo, my first for this
      season in Mumbai proper, flew almost overhead chased by, but of course, a
      couple of House Crows. This was just below the Sheikh Quarry where.

      Later went to Kanheri and was pleasantly surprised to come across a lone
      male Grey Junglefowl with two hens out in the 11 am heat on the main road!

      cheers -- sm

      --
      Birds ... birds ... more birds .......

    • citsci_ncbs
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2009
        Dear Sunjoy,

        Congratulations on that sighting. Will it be possible for you to enter this sighting to the MigrantWatch database too?

        For MigrantWatch, it is important that bird-watchers report their first sighting (of all migrants), even if others have reported it from the area. This would really improve the quality of the information in the database. There is a chance that a single report may be a case of misidentification, but when many participants send in first sighting dates from the same location in a short time span it makes it very easy to confirm the arrival of the species.

        I will like to use this opportunity to also point out that `general sightings' too contribute important information. These sightings contribute to constructing a distribution map for the species. They also give an idea about the densities of these birds at various locations at different points of time. For instance, assuming that the Pied Cuckoos fly over the Arabian Sea to reach India at more or less the same time, we would expect the number of Pied Cuckoos on the west coast to be maximum at the beginning of the season when the birds arrive, and gradually these birds would disperse and the densities in other areas would build up gradually. This is of course just an unconfirmed hypothesis, which we could try and explore using number of birds that get reported.

        Your posts regarding the Pied Cuckoo on the birds groups have been very informative – thank you. We are still interested in getting your comments on how to make this campaign more successful – please do comment.

        With best wishes,
        Uttara (for MigrantWatch)