Re: On consilience and literary Darwinism (weblog post) PS

  • tintner michael
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 24, 2013
      Of course our folk culture makes the distinction:

      any rule-based activity is a "science"
      any non-rule-based activity is an "art"

      life - and all its activities - are an art

      formulae/algos are a "science"
      creating them/applying them/using them is an "art"
    • JT Velikovsky
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 25, 2013
        Hi Michael,

        Exactly! - All the different "folk definitions" of Creativity are the exact problem...
        (As an experiment - ask the next 3 people you see/meet to define "creativity".
        See if the 3 answers given `match' at all, and also - see if any of them are: the systems model of creativity... ie - Csikszentmihalyi: 1988, 1996, 2000, etc)

        - This is why, we all desperately need Consilience... - We need Science, and Social Science, applied to the Arts/Humanities. (Like Csikszentmihalyi, Simonton etc, and, Literary Darwinism)
        All else (all non-scientific/non-empirical belief), is just personal opinion - and, will not help any Creative (novelist, painter, filmmaker etc) succeed - nor will it help anyone usefully analyze creativity, in the arts/humanities. (So, thank goodness for Literary Darwinism...!) And, also: for Science.

        Cheers

        JT

        --
        -----------------------

        JT Velikovsky
        Film/Story/Screenplay/Transmedia Analyst
        http://storyality.wordpress.com/

        and Transmedia Writer-Director-Producer:
        Movies, Games, TV, Theatre, Books, Comics

        Transmedia Writing Blog: http://on-writering.blogspot.com/

        Free Screenwriting TextBook: http://www.lulu.com/shop/joe-velikovsky/feature-film-screenwriters-workbook/ebook/product-20376941.html

        Transmedia Comic-Fantasy Novel: http://am-so-as.webs.com/

        Email: joetv@...
        Also: joetv@...
        Skype: joe.tee.vee
        Twitter: @joeteevee

        Imdb: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2853350/
        Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Velikovsky
        YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/joeteevee

        aka: JT Velikovsky
        Research Student & Filmmaker
        Doctorate of Creative Arts - Feature Film / Screenwriting
        School of Humanities and Communication Arts
        University of Western Sydney

        If you have received this email in error please notify joetv@...
        This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for known viruses