Re: Anthropologist Fish Ocean quote

  • alex_c_parrish
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 10, 2013
      Is this the quote?

      "Like fish in the ocean, all we know is water, so it doesn't occur to us to take notice of it."

      If so, that's Robert W. Rieber's "Manufacturing Social Distress: Psychopathy in Everyday Life."

      --- In biopoet@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Turpin" <jpturpin@...> wrote:

      > Hi folks. I vaguely remember a quote, which I believe I read in the various
      > essays on the topic of Hamlet in the Bush, and in which the author (may have
      > been Michelle Scalise) compared human anthropologists studying human
      > differences to fish in an ocean studying fish differences, while ignoring
      > the manifest similarities in both groups. Does anybody have a source or
      > citation off the top of their head? If so, a thousand thanks. jt

    • Jeff Turpin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 10, 2013

        Not quite it, but thanks for the help.  I may have to actually go thru my piles of photocopied manuscripts one by one . . . jt