Anthropologist Fish Ocean quote

  • Jeff Turpin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 9, 2013

      Hi folks.  I vaguely remember a quote, which I believe I read in the various essays on the topic of Hamlet in the Bush, and in which the author (may have been Michelle Scalise) compared human anthropologists studying human differences to fish in an ocean studying fish differences, while ignoring the manifest similarities in both groups.  Does anybody have a source or citation off the top of their head?  If so, a thousand thanks. jt

    • JT Velikovsky
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2013
        Hi JT

        - From another JT.

        I'm not sure if this is helpful - but, I see that in:

        Scalise Sugiyama, Michelle. "Cultural Variation Is Part of Human Nature: Literary Universals, Context-Sensitivity, and ‘Shakespeare in the Bush.’."
        Human nature 14, no. 4 (2003): 383-396.
        Link to article: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s12110-003-1012-2#page-1

        She says this, on p387:

        Geographical, technological, economic, and demographic differences between cultures all affect local expression and solution of adaptive problems
        and, hence, narrative content. Kirtley, for example, notes that the subject matter of Polynesian, Melanesian, and Micronesian folklore "is conditioned
        by the omnipresence of the sea" (1980:11): many of the uniquely Oceanic motifs he documents in his index pertain to sea journeys, typhoons,
        and fishing, which evoke the constraints local geography imposes on life in the region. (p 387)

        Which - in a vague way, is fairly similar, to the quote/concept that you allude to, below.
        In fact - there are several other paragraphs in the article, (and in particular, the Abstract) which - when considered as a whole - essentially do make the exact point you identify.
        But - unfortunately, I don't know of that exact quote.
        (ie RE: a comparison of: human anthropologists, studying human differences - to fish in an ocean studying fish differences - while ignoring the manifest similarities in both groups)

        Hope this helps somehow, (even if, in just: eliminating an incorrect result)

        In terms of `pattern-matching' however, this answer ticks a lot of boxes:

        (1) Michelle Scalise
        (2) Hamlet in the Bush
        (3) Anthropology (and, Narratology)
        (4) Fish (i.e. fishing)
        (5) Oceans
        (6) People ignoring the universality of: human concerns, the human condition, human nature.

        - I feel a bit like IBM's Watson, giving a technically-correct - but essentially wrong - answer, on Jeopardy. :)

        Best,

        JT

        --
        -----------------------

        JT Velikovsky
        Film/Story/Screenplay/Transmedia Analyst
        http://storyality.wordpress.com/

        and Transmedia Writer-Director-Producer:
        Movies, Games, TV, Theatre, Books, Comics

        Transmedia Writing Blog: http://on-writering.blogspot.com/

        Free Screenwriting TextBook: http://www.lulu.com/shop/joe-velikovsky/feature-film-screenwriters-workbook/ebook/product-20376941.html

        Transmedia Comic-Fantasy Novel: http://am-so-as.webs.com/

        Email: joetv@...
        Also: joetv@...
        Skype: joe.tee.vee
        Twitter: @joeteevee

        Imdb: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2853350/
        Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Velikovsky
        YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/joeteevee

        aka: JT Velikovsky
        Research Student & Filmmaker
        Doctorate of Creative Arts - Feature Film / Screenwriting
        School of Humanities and Communication Arts
        University of Western Sydney

        If you have received this email in error please notify joetv@...
        This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for known viruses

        On 10/07/2013 12:58 AM, Jeff Turpin wrote:

[...]

      • alex_c_parrish
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 10, 2013
          Is this the quote?

          "Like fish in the ocean, all we know is water, so it doesn't occur to us to take notice of it."

          If so, that's Robert W. Rieber's "Manufacturing Social Distress: Psychopathy in Everyday Life."

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 10, 2013

            Not quite it, but thanks for the help.  I may have to actually go thru my piles of photocopied manuscripts one by one . . . jt