Suggestion for introductory text

  • Ellen Dissanayake
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 2013
      To Jeff Turpin and others who ask about a text for introducing evolutionary literary/art studies to people who express an interest:

      Boyd, Brian, Joseph Carroll, and Jonathan Gottschall (eds).  2010. Evolution, Literature & Film: A Reader.  New York: Columbia University Press.

      Between two covers, this is the best work I know for an introduction to the broader field.

      Ellen

      At 10:11 AM 1/7/2013, Carroll, Joseph C. wrote:

      One more thing:

      Carroll, Joseph. 2012. The extremes of conflict in literature: Violence, homicide, and war. In Todd K. Shackelford & Viviana Weekes-Shackelford, eds., The Oxford handbook of evolutionary perspectives on violence, homicide, and war, 413-34. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 2013

        Yes, ELF was mentioned by Nancy Easterlin at the meeting, but it was a bit frustrating to hear faculty in the audience asking for teaching assets on canonical lit and getting blank stares from the panel, when Style is newly out, and when some in the audience and on the panel are in or well aware of the new issue.  Horses to water. jt