FW: Special issue of "Style" on Applied Evolutionary Criticism

  • Carroll, Joseph C.
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 7, 2013

      Hi folks,

      Brett Cooke asked me to send out this note:

      Dear Colleagues

      Late last year Style (Vol. 46, Nos. 3 & 4) published a special issue on "Applied Evolutionary Criticism." Edited by Clinton Machann and myself, it includes ten original studies of written and oral literature, including American, English, French, and Russian classics, each applying tenets of literary Darwinism/evolutionary criticism/cognitive studies/biopoetics. You can see it online at: http://www.engl.niu.edu/ojs/index.php/style/issue/current

      Special thanks are due to John Knapp and Linda Watson of Style. They have made a major investment in our field, one that extends well beyond our special issue. Remember that they published a remarkable forum of responses to Joe Carroll's target essay, "An Evolutionary Paradigm for Literary Study," four years ago. And they have a special issue on pedagogical applications of evolutionary theory edited by Nancy Easterlin now in the works. (To stay in touch you may wish to make sure that your library subscribes to Style).

      Enjoy!

      Brett Cooke

      Texas A&M University

    • Jeff Turpin
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 7, 2013

        Joe and Brett—At the MLA’s recent “Past, Present, and Future of Cognitive Literary Studies” panel Nancy Easterlin, Ellen Spolsky, and others did a fine job of representing their field, and Nancy gave a good summary of recent evolutionary criticisms.  During the Q&A I mentioned the “Style” issue on Ev. Crit, since many questioners were trying to find assets for teaching these approaches in the classroom.  The panel room was crowded to capacity, and spilling outside the door, to the point where MLA and hotel staff were worried about fire regulations ;-).  This would have been a good place to foreground the Style issue more heavily, but I did what I could.  Despite MLA’s resistance to all things empirical, this was a potential point of entry, and we owe a debt of gratitude to Nancy for representing as clearly and lucidly as she did.  JT

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 7, 2013
          Jeff

          That's a wonderful report. What a nice way to start off the new year.

          Thanks,

          Brett

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 7, 2013

            Here are three evolutionary pieces from vol. 46, issue 2 of Style:

            “The Truth about Fiction: Biological Reality and Imaginary Lives.” Carroll, Joseph. Style. Summer 2012, Vol. 46 Issue 2, p129-160. 32p.

            "’Man is the Measure’: Forster's Evolutionary Conundrum.” Jonsson, Emelie. Style. Summer 2012, Vol. 46 Issue 2, p161-176. 16p.

            “Social Minds in the Novel.” Easterlin, Nancy. Style. Summer 2012, Vol. 46 Issue 2, p257-260. 4p.

            ABSTRACTS:

            Carroll: The evolutionary human sciences are still in the process of forming a paradigm. Their model of human nature is not yet complete because it has not yet taken adequate account of the experience that forms the subject matter of the humanities. This essay is designed to help correct that deficiency. In the first part of the essay, I explain how scholars in the humanities can help construct the still developing model of human nature. In the second part, I argue that the proper subject of literary commentary is "meaning" and that meaning can be localized in the interaction of perspectives in authors, readers, and characters. In the third part, I argue that the main categories of human life history are also the main themes of fiction. In the final section, I offer suggestions about directions for future research.

            Jonsson: Critics of E.M. Forster have often commented on the conflict between stagnated intellectualism and a mystified nature in his work. They have traced that conflict to cultural influences, or simply described it metaphorically. In contrast, an evolutionary perspective can help explain the conflict on a fundamental level, while accounting for the effect of particular stories. Forster's short story "The Machine Stops" centers on basic relationships among human beings, tools and the environment. I show that Forster suppresses normative human universals in that story in order to create an aversive atmosphere in the dystopian society he depicts. Further, I argue that though Forster misunderstands basic features of the human condition, he evokes real dangers in systems so inflexible that they cannot deal with the unexpected. Analyzing the deep but narrow vision in "The Machine Stops" can illuminate the sources of strength, and also the limitations, in Forster's authorial perspective.

            Easterlin: The article reviews the book "Social Minds in the Novel," by Alan Palmer.

            In other news:

            Keener, Joe. "Evolving Hamlet: Brains, Behavior, and the Bard." Interdisciplinary Literary Studies 14.2 (2012): 150-63.

            Gansel, Carsten, and Dirk Vanderbeke, eds.. Telling Stories: Literature and Evolution. Berlin: De Gruyter, 2012.

            Jon Gottschall has a blog on narrative at Psychology Today: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-storytelling-animal

            Forthcoming:

            Judith Saunders, on D. H. Lawrence’s “Wintry Peacock,” forthcoming in College Literature.

            Jon Gottschall, Brian Boyd, and Joseph Carroll: three brief “manifestos,” forthcoming in the newish journal Scientific Study of Literature. http://benjamins.com/#catalog/journals/ssol.1.1/main

            Joseph Carroll, on Jonathan Franzen’s The Corrections, forthcoming in Style.

          • Carroll, Joseph C.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7, 2013

              One more thing:

              Carroll, Joseph. 2012. The extremes of conflict in literature: Violence, homicide, and war. In Todd K. Shackelford & Viviana Weekes-Shackelford, eds., The Oxford handbook of evolutionary perspectives on violence, homicide, and war, 413-34. Oxford: Oxford University Press.