SAMLA call for papers

  • Carroll, Joseph C.
    Message 1 of 1 , May 16, 2012

      Hi folks,

      Some evolutionary literary scholars have asked me to send out a notice about a call for papers. The conference venue is the South Atlantic Modern Language Association (SAMLA).

      http://samla.gsu.edu/convention/2012%20SAMLA%20CFP.pdf

      http://samla.gsu.edu/convention/convention.htm

      Here’s the CFP:

      DARWINIAN LITERARY THEORY, SESSIONS I AND II

      While a coterie of scholars have been exploring Literary Darwinism for over a decade, it appears that their efforts are now a part of a flowering of interest in neo-Darwinian considerations of our world. In the past year, major new works have leaped into the popular consciousness: David Sloan Wilson’s The Neighborhood Project, which takes a Darwinian approach to city planning; Robert H. Frank’s The Darwin Economy: Liberty, Competition, and the Common Good; and Steven Pinker’s The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined have all received thoughtful reviews in The New York Times. We invite proposals for papers that consider literary works, periods, or authors through the lens of contemporary evolutionary theory and for papers that view literature as an extension of the adapted mind. By June 30, 2012, please submit abstracts to Robert Funk, Hillsborough Community College, at rfunk2@....

      Joseph Carroll

      Curators' Professor

      English Department

      University of Missouri, St. Louis