new book: Brian Boyd, Why Lyrics Last

  • Brian Boyd
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 24 3:38 PM
    Dear all,

    I have a new book out (not yet officially published, but available through Amazon etc and in many North American bookstores), a complement to my On the Origin of Stories, that looks at not narrative and specifically fiction but at verse and specifically lyric, at verse without narrative, and this time takes as its in-depth example the most successful and the most problematic of lyric collections, Shakespeare's Sonnets.

    Why Lyrics Last: Evolution, Cognition and Shakespeare's Sonnets (Harvard University Press).

    http://www.amazon.com/Why-Lyrics-Last-Evolution-Shakespeares/dp/0674065646

    The first blurb on the attached flier comes from Mac Jackson, hailed in the most important new edition of the sonnets in 200 years, John Kerrigan's, as "the insufficiently sung hero of Sonnets scholarship"--and this before most of the more recent empirical work of his that allowed me a springboard.

    Buy! Enjoy!

    Brian Boyd
  • Carroll, Joseph C.
    Message 2 of 3 , Mar 24 3:41 PM

      Already bought, and in fact I received notice this afternoon that the book has been shipped.

      Joe

      Message 3 of 3 , Mar 24 6:47 PM

        Presumably there’ll be an authorial signing after-party at the consilience conference . . .?  Hitting the Sonnets was a brilliant move.  I’m looking forward to the read. JT