Royal Society Archives Open-Access

  • Alex Parrish
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2011
      I received this link on the ARST listserv today, but it is potentially of interest to more than just rhetoricians.

      http://royalsociety.org/news/Royal-Society-journal-archive-made-permanently-free-to-access/

      The Royal Society has today announced that its world-famous historical journal archive – which includes thefirst ever peer-reviewed scientific journal – has been made permanently free to access online.
      Treasures in the archive include Isaac Newton’s first published scientific paper, geological work by a young Charles Darwin, and Benjamin Franklin’s celebrated account of his electrical kite experiment.  And nestling amongst these illustrious papers, readers willing to delve a little deeper into the archive may find some undiscovered gems from the dawn of the scientific revolution – including accounts of monstrous calves, grisly tales of students being struck by lightning, and early experiments on to how to cool drinks “without the Help of Snow, Ice, Haile, Wind or Niter, and That at Any Time of the Year.”

      Alex C. Parrish

      Department of English
      Washington State University
      P.O. Box 645020