Story-editing

  • Mike Tintner
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2011
      Biopoetics
      [Has anyone picked up on the practical psychological application of "story-editing" and personal story writing, which seem to be quite common in various fields of psychotherapy? They seem  relevant to recent discussions touched on here about the functions of the narrative arts].

      From Amazon review of "Redirect"

      5.0 out of 5 stars Redirect answers the question, Is it possible to advance our society, improve ourselves, remodel our children,  August 27, 2011
      By
      This review is from: Redirect: The Surprising New Science of Psychological Change (Hardcover)
      *****
      "Wouldn't it be amazing if a very smart scientist could write a book on happiness, crime, violence, drug and alcohol abuse, parenting, and teenage pregnancy--and sum up all the research in clear and surprising lessons...? Well, Timothy Wilson is the scientist and Redirect is the book, and it is in fact amazing." --Daniel Wegner, Harvard University

      Dr. Timothy Wilson, world-renowned psychologist, replies affirmatively to the fundamental question, "Is it possible to advance our society, improve ourselves, remodel our children?" His proposed method, that many social reformers and educators would find very compelling, states that the most effective concepts are so deceptively simple to be believed plausible. While we tell ourselves stories, to make sense of the chaotic world we live in, our accounts help decide if we will lead sound, rational lives or foment trouble. Timothy Wilson, author of "Strangers to Ourselves" explains with his new theory, exploring the "Adaptive Unconscious" Grounded in science, he shows you how to make your life happier, turning you into an inspiring parent, to solve your kids erratic behavior, and even promote their scholastic achievement, bettering their education. This methodology, he calls, "Story Editing," effectively redirects the stories we tell about ourselves translating the world around us, in ways that lead to continuing progress.

      "Evolutionary psychology has become a dominant force in the field," says Harvard Professor of Psychology Daniel Gilbert, "As an explanation for current social behavior, it can be a useful heuristic, if it can generate hypotheses that we would not have come up with otherwise that can then be tested with rigorous methods." One of the basic assumptions of the field, reflects Wilson, is that it's not the objective environment that influences people, but their constructs of the world. You have to get inside people's heads and see the world the way they do. To which replies Daniel Gilbert, "If liberating the unconscious had been Wilson's only contribution to psychological science, it would have been enough. But it was just the start. "What matters most is not pressuring the people whom we want to change, but subtly helping them to shift the stories that they tell about themselves. Whether you are a parent, educator, employer, or simply someone who cares about making the world a better place, ... Read this book."--Sonja Lyubomirsky, Professor of Psychology, UCRS

      In "Redirect," Timothy Wilson focuses on psychological strategies of changing one's way of viewing life and re-directing their thought processes to become more optimistic. Popular strategies that Wilson uses in his book include story-editing (which is refocusing one's view on a particular problem: e.g. the student who attributes his failed test to being stupid, versus a student who attributes his failed test to not enough studying--as a basic example of this premise), using writing as a way of coming to terms with a problem, and much more.