Toward a Heart of Darkness Handbook‹handbook as description of a sharable promptuary

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2011
      Toward a Heart of Darkness Handbook—handbook as description of a sharable promptuary Dear Literary critics, cultural studies, and other humanists,

      For some time now I’ve been thinking that we need to compile “handbook level” information about the texts (broadly construed) that most interest us. By this I mean consensus-level and largely descriptive information about texts. In particular, I think that what we know goes far beyond the mere characters on the page.

      To this end, I’ve taken my series of 11 posts on Conrad’s Heart of Darkness as a context in which to outline what such a handbook might contain. Most of the material in those 11 posts won’t make it, but some will and, of course, a lot that I didn’t cover in those posts. So, using Norm Holland’s phrase for what every reader finds in the text “sharable promptuary”, I’ve sketched out how we might begin describing that sharable promptuary in one case.

      Best,

      Bill Benzon

      http://new-savanna.blogspot.com/2011/08/hd-postscript-toward-heart-of-darkness.html