NEW SAVANNA: Romantic Love, Conversation, Biology, and Culture

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2010
      NEW SAVANNA: Romantic Love, Conversation, Biology, and Culture I have argued elsewhere the chess provides an apt metaphor for the relationship between biology and culture:

      http://new-savanna.blogspot.com/2010/05/cultural-evolution-1-how-thick-is.html

      Biology provides the pieces, game board, and basic rules. But culture provides the tactical and strategic concepts that dictate overall game play.

      In this post I look at romantic love, marriage, and family from the POV. My concluding paragraphs:

      Attachment, sexuality, and care-giving, those are game pieces provided by human biology. They are universal. People in every social group in every culture experience each of these during their lives. But how they are combined into a single relationship, that is not at all dictated by biology. Cultures have great leeway in telling stories that combine these systems in various ways. Individuals within those cultures, they too have some room to move. Their biology doesn’t dictate their lives. But it places constraints on them, as does their culture.

      It is not easy to live a life that differs from those laid out in the dominant narratives of one’s society. But it is possible, especially in the large and diverse societies that exist in much of the modern world. The very openness of biological possibility, of one’s human nature, thus provides the possibility of escaping the strictures of an oppressive social regime.

      Best,

      Bill B

      --

      William L. Benzon, Ph. D.