Re: [biopoet] evolution: simple to complex

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 18, 2010
      Re: [biopoet] evolution: simple to complex You should check out a paper David Hays and I wrote some years ago:

      A Note on Why Natural Selection Leads to Complexity,
      Journal of Social and Biological Structures, Vol. 13, pp. 33-40, 1990.

      Abstract:
      While science has accepted biological evolution through natural selection, there is no generally agreed explanation for why evolution leads to ever more complex organisms.  Evolution yields organismic complexity because the universe is, in its very fabric, inherently complex, as suggested by Ilya Prigogine's work on dissipative structures.  Because the universe is complex, increments in organismic complexity  yield survival benefits:  (1)  more efficient extraction of energy and  matter,  (2)  more  flexible response to vicissitudes,  (3)  more effective search.  J.J. Gibson's ecological psychology provides a clue to the advantages of sophisticated information processing while the lore of computational theory suggests that a complex computer is needed efficiently to perform complex computations (i.e. sophisticated information processing).

      You can download it here:

      Bill B
      --

      William L. Benzon, Ph. D.
      163 11th Street, Basement

      Mind-Culture Coevolution: http://asweknowit.ca/evcult/
      The Valve (cultural blog): http://tinyurl.com/ormqg
      Flickr: http://flickr.com/photos/stc4blues/
      YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/STC4blues

      on 4/16/10 9:45 PM, Stephen Berer at steve@... wrote:

      Hi all.
      Not being an expert on evolutionary theory, I have come to wonder how
      theorists address the counter-gradient movement of evolution from simple
      to complex, rather than the opposite direction. As I understand it, in
      physics, unless a system has some kind of energy input(s), it will
      entropically move towards simplicity, stability, and minimal energy
      states to sustain it. Evolution, it seems obvious to me, is moving in
      exactly the opposite direction: towards more complexity in living
      systems, and more complexity in sustaining those living systems, both
      individual and environmental.
      Please explain. Thanx.
      smb