Zunshine & Gottschall

  • Brett Cooke
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2010
      Dear Colleagues

      This morning's Houston Chronicle reprinted an article from Friday's NYT re. the work of Lisa Zunshine and Jon Gottschall. The website has a picture of Jon. It is very welcome public acknowledgement of what has been going on in cognitive studies.

      In case you missed it, as I almost did: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/books/01lit.html?ref=books

      Brett Cooke
    • Stephen Berer
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 4, 2010
        Dear Brett and all,
        In case you don't know what I think you know, I think you should know an essential predecessor to what Gottschall and Zunshine are trying to know:
        R.D.Laing's Knots, published in 1970: a series of poems by this existential psychologist, exploring precisely this topic of layered knowing and unknowing. In a quasi-introduction, he says,
        "The patterns delineated here have not yet been classified by a Linneaus of human bondage. ... In these pages I have confined myself to laying out only some of those I actually have seen. Words that come to mind to name them are: knots, tangles... webs of maya."
        His first prose poem:
        They are playing a game. They are playing at not playing a game. If I show them I see they are, I shall break the rules and they will punish me. I must play their game, of not seeing I see the game.

        best,
        Steve Berer

        --
        Wut ar the koeld hard jeyommetreez