two more symposium essays

  • Carroll, Joseph C.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2010

    Hi Folks,

    A few days ago, I sent out some essays on the question “How Is Culture Biological?”  These are symposium essays to which all readers are invited to write responses. I mentioned that at least one other essay would be coming in.  Two other essays have now come in, one by Steve Moxon and one by Pete Richerson.  I’m attaching these, and I’ll also attach the other three that were submitted so that everyone will have all five symposium essays together.

    Here are the authors and titles for the five essays to which responses are invited:

    Steve Moxon, “Culture Is Biology: Why We Cannot 'Transcend' Our Genes – or Ourselves”

    Anja Müller-Wood and John Carter Wood, “How Is Culture Biological? Violence: Real and Imagined”

                    John S. Price, “The Culture of Religious Belief Systems and Changes of Belief System”

    Peter J. Richerson, “Culture Is an Active Part of Human Biology”

    Robert Karl Stonjek, “A Brief but Plausible History of Culture”

    DEADLINE FOR RESPONSES: February 20.

    WORD LIMIT ON RESPONSES: 1,000 words per essay.

    PUBLICATION VENUE: special evolutionary issue of the online journal Politics and Culture,

    http://aspen.conncoll.edu/politicsandculture/index2.cfm

    In addition to this symposium on “How Is Culture Biological?” this special issue of Politics and Culture will contain many essays and reviews on different aspects of culture from an evolutionary perspective.  About 25 people thus far have promised essays or reviews that are not part of the symposium. The deadline for the essays that are not part of the symposium is March 15.

                Please send all contributions directly to me: jcarroll@...

    Joseph Carroll

    http://www.umsl.edu/~carrolljc/

    Co-editor:

    The Evolutionary Review: Art, Science, Culture

    http://www.sunypress.edu/p-5077-the-evolutionary-review-volume-1-issue-1.aspx

    http://www.evolutionaryreview.com/