RE: the Human, Posthuman and Transhuman (& the arts)

  • mike99
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 10, 2005
      Hi Mike,
      I just joined this list and decided to make my first posting a response to
      yours because it implicates me as someone who is interested in both
      evolutionary psychology and transhumanism.

      I work as a teacher in the English Dept. of New Mexico State University. I
      volunteer for, and have been elected to the Board of Directors of, the World
      Transhumanist Association.

      I think that the neo-Darwinian synthesis, including evolutionary psychology,
      can go a long way toward explaining human urges, tendencies and behaviors.
      Similarly, I see much promise in cognitive science and the related fields of
      neurophilosophy (Patricia Churchland) and neurotheology (esp. Pascal Boyer).
      These seem likely to tell us much about how we came to be the way we are.

      At the same time that the new science is explaining humans more deeply and
      reliably (truly) than previous theories could, I believe that technology is
      giving us the ability to change ourselves more deeply and profoundly than
      ever before. Genetic engineering, cyborgization devices (artificial auditory
      and visual aids, for example) and computers (plus, in the near future,
      nanotechnology) may permit us to radically change the ground rules that
      evolutionary psychology is just now explaining. Fear of such a change to
      these ground rules is what animated, for example, Francis Fukayama in his
      declaration that transhumanism is "the most dangerous idea on earth."

      Dangerous, yes, just as any world-changing idea is dangerous. As Nietzsche
      wrote, "Man is a rope stretched between the animal and the Superman: a rope
      across an abyss - a dangerous going across, a dangerous wayfaring, a
      dangerous looking back, a dangerous shuddering and staying still."

      Regards,

      Michael LaTorra

      mike99@...
      mlatorra@...

      "For any man to abdicate an interest in science is to walk with open eyes
      towards slavery."
      -- Jacob Bronowski

      "Experiences only look special from the inside of the system."
      -- Eugen Leitl

      Member:
      Board of Directors, World Transhumanist Association: www.transhumanism.org
      Board of Directors, Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies:
      http://ieet.org/
      Extropy Institute: www.extropy.org
      Alcor Life Extension Foundation: www.alcor.org
      Society for Universal Immortalism: www.universalimmortalism.org