RE: [biopoet] Norman N. Holland, Literature and the Brain

  • Carroll, Joseph C.
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 19, 2009

      Thanks, Maya.  Yes, I mean “regulate” in just the way you do: “mitigate, stimulate, control, augment and synthesize the body's more immediate thoughts and experiences.”

                  Slogging along here—just turned in the manuscript for the first volume of The Evolutionary Review, going over the copyediting for the anthology Brian, Jon, and I edited, doing the daily work for classes and committees, reading tenure and promotion dossiers and writing reports on them—the usual sort of thing.  My hard drive (60 gigs) filled up yesterday and refused to budge.  I had to go buy an external hard drive and move a bunch of stuff over to it.  Now, if I could just buy an external hard drive for my own brain, I’d be in good shape.  Instead, I’ve started turning down requests for articles.  Just too damned much to do.  Eventually, maybe next summer (once the current queue of backlogged tasks is cleared off), I’ll start another book.  Meanwhile, though, I’d like to spend at least three of four months just catching up on reading.  Haven’t had time to do any reading for over a year now.  Starting to feel a little like Greta Garbo.  (“I only want to be left alone.”)  Of course, if people had really left her alone, she might have begun feeling neglected.

      Joe