Re: Scientific American on EP

  • Mike Tintner
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 24, 2009
      The Brooks article was messy and not worth much discussion. But it did have one extraordinary proposition:

      "Shopping isn’t merely a way to broadcast permanent, inborn traits. For some people, it’s also an activity of trying things on in the never-ending process of creating and discovering who they are."

      IOW human life both individual and social is a never-ending process of creating and discovering who we are, both individually and socially. And that means both discovering our past and creating - "forging" - our future. Not just discovering, say, the origins and evolution of our conscience and morality but forging that conscience anew, in the phrase of James Joyce.

      The arts, par excellence, embody that process of reflecting and creating change in our society, economy, culture and psychology - at every level, and in every sector, relentlessly. That is their primary raison d'etre. To miss that is to miss almost everything. The study of the arts has always been - and still is, largely - focussed on the past - the classics. Inevitably. And so it has missed the obvious - that the classics always were and always will be, about the *new* not the old in human behaviour.