a little blog activity re Denis Dutton's Art Instinct

  • Carroll, Joseph C.
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2009

      If you’d like to pitch in—do feel free. . . . . .

      http://www.cognitionandculture.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1

      Joseph Carroll

      Curators' Professor

      English Department

      University of Missouri , St. Louis

      St. Louis , MO 63121

      jcarroll@...

      home phone 314 432 4483

      cell phone    314 614 1469

      http://www.umsl.edu/~carrolljc/

      Home Address

      9038 Old Bonhomme Road

      St. Louis , MO 63132

    • Tim Horvath
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 28, 2009
        I'm sure an official announcement is forthcoming from the publisher, but rather than contain my excitement I'll diffuse it a bit by sharing it with those who are most likely to care. Brian Boyd's On the Origin of Stories is out and available. At 400 some-odd pages of text, it's a daunting tome, but the writing is clear and lucid and inherits in no small measure the elegance that Brian has no doubt assimilated from Nabokov over the years. I've just begun my reading, but it promises to be one of the seminal works in the field. The book weaves back and forth between the synthesizing necessary for evolutionary scholarship and the originality that makes it exciting. I hope it gets as much attention as Dutton's book has deservedly gotten of late.

        Best,

        Tim Horvath