Fw: biopoetics comes to Russia

  • Brett Cooke
    Message 1 of 1 , May 30, 2006

      Fellow Biopoets (or Biopoeticists):

      When Tom Dolack started our list, one of my hopes was that it would provide a much needed means of sharing information, especially re. new publications relevant to our activities. It is in this spirit that I wish to announce the publication of a small forum on biopoetics in the prominent Russian journal, Voprosy literatury (Questions of Literature), this past February. Russian journals are listed by year and number in that year, hence, 2006:1. The forum consisted of a brief, unsigned introduction (I believe by Igor Shaitanov) and articles by Joe Carroll and me. Shaitanov, who invited and organized the forum, tried to include a third study, one written by a Russian colleague, but, for some reason unknown to me, this fell through.

      Joe's article, "'Teoriya', antiteoriya i empiricheskoe literaturovedenie," translated by A Osina, pp. 93-107, is close, if not identical to his "'Theory,' Anti-Theory, and Empirical Criticism," which most recently appeared as the third chapter of his Literary Darwinism. I will leave it to Joe to say whether there are any substantial differences.

      My contribution was "Smerdyakov, oshibka prirody: vzglyad s pozicii biopoetiki," translated by A. Gorbunova, pp. 108-122. This was its first publication. Since I would like to make this study available to colleagues who do not read Russian, I have appended a copy of what I sent the translator. I do this since it will be sometime, if ever, before I attempt to get this published in English. If someone might like to cite it someday, let me know and I can help with the pagination.

      Looking forward to meeting some of you at HBES,

      Brett Cooke